About this program
Master of Science (MSc) in Energy Science and Technology
The Master of Science (MSc) is a two-year degree which encompasses both coursework and research. The first year involves mainly coursework and preliminary research preparation. Students will have the opportunity to contribute to existing fields of research, or to begin to develop new areas.
Why study Energy Science and Technology or Energy Management?
You’ll gain valuable scientific and technical expertise, problem solving ability, business awareness and communication skills that can help industry or government to make the best energy choices and implement the right energy solutions.
You’ll develop the skills and knowledge required to make a useful contribution towards the transition to a more renewable and sustainable energy system for New Zealand and the world.
- Admission to the Program shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
- Every applicant must either: be a graduate with an average grade of at least B for the appropriate 300-level papers, or have alternative qualifications or experience acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
- An applicant seeking admission to the thesis-only option of the Program on the basis of the degree of Bachelor of Science with Honours or the Postgraduate Diploma in Science or equivalent must have achieved a grade of at least B+ for the research report, thesis preparation, or dissertation requirement of the qualification concerned.
If your first language is not English you need to meet our English language requirements as follows: IELTS score of 6.5 in the academic module (with no individual band below 6.0); Internet-based TOEFL: Score of 95 with a minimum writing score of 22, Paper-based TOEFL: score of 587 (TWE 4.5); we also accept a number of other English language tests. Due to COVID-19, we currently accept IELTS Indicator Test, and TOEFL iBT Special home Edition.
Don’t meet the English language requirements? The University of Otago Language Centre ""English for Otago"" Program offers a pathway for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students to meet the English language requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- The degree may be awarded in any of the subjects listed above. With the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences) the degree may be awarded in a subject not listed above.
- The Program of study shall be as prescribed for the subject concerned.
- A candidate whose qualification for entry to the Program is the degree of Bachelor of Science with Honours or the Postgraduate Diploma in Science or equivalent may achieve the degree after a minimum of one year of further study, normally by completing a thesis or equivalent as prescribed in the MSc Schedule.
- A candidate may be exempted from some of the prescribed papers on the basis of previous study.
- A candidate shall, before commencing the investigation to be described in a thesis, secure the approval of the Head of the Department concerned for the topic, the supervisor(s), and the proposed course of the investigation.
- A candidate may not present a thesis which has previously been accepted for another degree.
- A candidate taking the degree by papers and thesis must pass both the papers and the thesis components.
- For the thesis, the research should be of a kind that a diligent and competent student should complete within one year of full-time study.
View the list of subjects offered for the Master of Science (MSc) and the Master of Applied Science (MAppSc).
- Cognitive Science
- Computational Modelling
- Computer Science
- Consumer Food Science
- Energy Science and Technology
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Science
- Food Science
- Geographic Information Systems
- Human Nutrition
- Information Science
- Marine Science
- Plant Biotechnology
- Sport, Exercise and Health
- Wildlife Management
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Applicants must apply online. They should also attach all the necessary supporting documents which includes scanned copies of their official high school or foundation transcripts (awards gained, marks, grades); scanned copies of the relevant official transcripts of previous university study; and provide proof of their identity this is usually achieved by providing a certified copy of the personal details page of their passport or a birth certificate (in English). Applicants may also be required to submit an Educational Credential Evaluators report (ECE). As soon as applicants have completed their online application, their proof of identity document must be posted to International Office, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand. International student applications for semester 1/summer school study close: Oct-31; Semester 2 study close: Apr-30.
International tuition fees per year: 42957 NZD
Level of Award of the Degree
The degree may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
There are great opportunities for qualified people to pursue a career in the rapidly developing energy area both within New Zealand and around the world.
Our graduates find successful and fulfilling careers in a diverse range of energy areas, including:
- Designing and implementing renewable energy supply solutions
- Renewable energy and energy-efficient technology research and development
- Identifying and implementing energy efficiency and sustainability measures for industry, organisations, or in the residential sector
- Assessing or managing energy use at energy-intensive industrial sites or in commercial buildings
- Advising on or developing energy and sustainability policy for national or local government
Message the school
About this institute
University of Otago
Founded in 1869, the University of Otago is New Zealand's first university. Otago has gained an excellent international reputation for its research and teaching. Ranked among the world’s top 1% of universities according to QS World University Rankings, Otago students...
Why study at University of Otago
Otago’s approachable, world-renowned teaching staff are dedicated to fostering creativity and independence and helping students achieve their visions for the future.
Otago graduates are globally in demand, with 95 percent of graduates going on to employment or further academic studies. Otago’s Social Impact Studio provides volunteering and leadership opportunities, while programmes like Audacious support start-ups and entrepreneurs.
Otago boasts some of the best completion rates for a doctorate or master’s qualification in the world, with exceptional supervisory support.
At Otago, old meets new, from iconic historic buildings to modern, award-winning laboratories and teaching spaces, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the world.
Want to know more about Master of Science (MSc) in Energy Science and Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!