Bachelor's Degree in Spanish
The Spanish major enhances students’ cultural awareness and understanding for success in our diverse world. The Spanish major combines in-class curriculum with real-world experiential learning through literature, history, translation, and opportunities to study abroad. Students graduating with a degree in Spanish have a competitive edge in a variety of fields such as business, international development, social service, education, and marketing as well as in the many regions of the United States that are home to large Spanish-speaking communities.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Elementary Spanish I
- Elementary Spanish II
- Experiential Learning in a Latin American Country
- Spanish-language Cinema
- Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- Introduction to Hispanic Civilization
- Introduction to Hispanic Theatre
- Spanish and Spanish-American Pop Culture
- Spanish-language Mysteries
- Travel Seminar
- Pre-trip Service Learning in a Spanish-speaking Country
- Service Learning in a Spanish-Speaking Country
- Gender and Ethnicity in Spanish-American Literature
- Spanish and Spanish-American Culture and Civilization
- Hispanic Literature in Translation
- Spanish Conversation Practicum
- Spanish for Traveling and Living Abroad
- Spanish for the Professions
- Hispanic Perspectives on U.S. Society
- Spanish Across the Curriculum
- Translating Spanish
- Spanish-American Readings
- Hispanic Art and Cinema
- Peninsular Spanish Readings
- Methods of Teaching Spanish
- Practicum in the Teaching of Spanish
- Teaching Spanish in the Elementary School
- Advanced Special Topics
- Teaching Assistant Practicum – Spanish
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
The Spanish major at the University of Mount Union focuses on several different aspects of Hispanic culture. Spanish majors will gain speaking, reading, listening, and writing skills of the Spanish language. The living patterns, social structure, and value systems of the Spanish culture will be discussed along with Spanish literatures. Students will be able to understand the cultures and civilizations of Spanish speaking people along with an understanding of the careers and professions available to Spanish majors. Lastly, Spanish majors will spend a period of time living and learning in Spain, Costa Rica, Chile, or Mexico, experiencing the culture first-hand.
Student organizations include Alpha Mu Gamma, the foreign language honorary society, Study Abroad Club, Hispanic Organization Latin America (HOLA) and the Association of International Students.
World language students
- Students will achieve the level of proficiency necessary to enable them to function in an environment where Spanish is used exclusively.
- Students will demonstrate speaking, listening, reading, and writing in the Language at the ACTFL Advanced-Low Level
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the cultures and civilizations of the principal groups of people who speak Spanish, from a variety of perspectives, including the historical, geographical, sociopolitical, literary and artistic.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of the relevance of foreign languages to professions and careers.
The fourth most commonly spoken language in the world, Spanish is the official language on four continents and is being studied by a record number of people in the United States. Without a doubt, it’s a good choice for study among foreign languages.
In our global society, knowledge of other languages, cultures and traditions is increasingly important, and this understanding is sought by employers across our nation and around the world. Whether your interests lie in business, education, technology or translation, a foundation in Spanish and Hispanic culture will prepare you for graduate study and career success in a number of fields.
Common careers include:
- Education and teaching
- Public relations
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Spanish? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America