Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor's Degree in Music
The University of Mount Union’s Bachelor of Arts degree in music is flexible enough to tailor your education to meet your specific needs and interests while providing you with the history, theory, basic musicianship and practical skills necessary to achieve a successful career in music. As a music major, you will be provided with the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of courses and ensembles, from jazz band to keyboard ensemble, as well as participate in performance groups such as Wind Ensemble, Orchestra or Concert Choir.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Music Theory I
- Foundations of Musicianship
- Music Theory II
- Musicianship Skills I
- Vocal Techniques and Diction
- Brass Instruments
- Piano Class I
- Piano Class II
- Introduction to Music Education
- Music, the Arts and Culture
- History and Analysis of Western Music I
- Music Theory III
- Musicianship Skills II
- Musicianship Skills III
- Stringed Instruments
- Woodwind Instruments
- Piano Class III
- Piano Class IV
- Percussion Instruments
- Music in American Life
- Large Ensembles
- Applied Pedagogy
- Special Topics in Music and Society
- History and Analysis of Western Music II
- Orchestration and Arranging
- Music Technology for the Performing Musician
- Digital Sound
- Choral Conducting and Literature
- Instrumental Conducting and Literature
- Music Methods: Early Childhood
- Music Methods
- Hearing Heaven: Death, Dying, and the Music of Mahler
- World Music and Ethnographic Music Study
- Small Ensembles
- Music Methods – Instrumental
- Clinical Practice: Multi-Age Music
- Special Projects in Music
- Applied Lessons in Music (Private Instruction)
- Applied Composition and Analysis
- Collaborative Piano Recital
- Senior Project: Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Joint Recital
- Senior Recital
- Honors Thesis/Project
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Composition and Improvisation: Students will acquire the ability to compose and/or improvise at a basic level in one or more musical languages.
- Cultural and Historical Awareness and Context: Students will become aware of diverse culture, develop curiosity about American society and about other societies and the art, and will acquire the ability to place music, including music of various cultures of the world, repertoires beyond the area of specialization, and music of their own time, in historical, cultural, and stylistic contexts.
- Elements and Organizational Patterns of Music: Students will acquire an understanding of the common elements and organizational patterns of music and their interaction, and the ability to demonstrate this understanding in aural, verbal, and visual analysis.
- Historic and Stylistic Performance Practices: Student will demonstrate a working knowledge of appropriate historical and stylistic performance practices.
- Independent and Cooperative Problem Solving: Students will work independently and cooperatively on a variety of musical problems by combining their capabilities in performance; aural, verbal, and visual analysis; composition and improvisation; and history and repertoire.
- Keyboard Competency: Students will acquire keyboard competency.
- Knowledge of the Profession: Students will understand basic interrelationships and interdependencies among the various professions and activities that constitute the musical enterprise.
- Leadership and Collaborative Work: Students will acquire knowledge and skills sufficient to work as leaders and in collaboration on matters of musical interpretation, including rehearsal and conducting skills as appropriate to the particular music specialization and degree program.
- Lifelong Learning: Students will develop skills to become lifelong learners in the musical art, both as participants and as audience members.
- Musical Form, Processes, and Structures: Students will acquire sufficient understanding of musical forms, processes, and structures to use this knowledge in compositional, performance, scholarly, pedagogical, and historical contexts, as appropriate to their specialization and degree program.
- Musical Value Judgments: Students will form and defend value judgments about music.
- Secondary Performance Area: Students will acquire experience in a secondary performance area.
- Technical and Musical Skill: Students will acquire technical skills requisite for artistic self-expression in at least one primary performance area at a level appropriate for the particular music specialization and degree program, including an overview understanding of the repertoire in the primary performance area, an ability to perform from a cross-section of that repertoire, the ability to read at sight with fluency, and the ability to perform in a variety of solo and ensemble settings.
- Technology: Students will acquire a basic overview understanding of how technology serves in the field of music as a whole and a working knowledge of the technological developments applicable to their area of specialization and degree program.
If you seek to combine your study of music with academic excellence in a broader liberal arts education, then a bachelor of arts in music degree at the University of Mount Union may be for you. The flexibility of the music major requirements and curriculum provides for additional exploration outside of the music classroom. The program may also be paired with an additional major, minor or coursework tailored to your interests and future aspirations.
Whether you dream of being a performer, composer, director, hope to work on the business and promotional end of the industry or have aspirations of exploring a future in music technology, our music major curriculum and liberal arts foundation provide the flexibility you need. You’ll be able to fine tune your music skills through numerous performance opportunities while studying the history and theory of the field.
Common careers include:
- Art Administration
- Sales and Performing
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Music? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...