Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor's Degree in International Affairs and Diplomacy
Are you interested in current events from around the world? Are you baffled by North Korea? Do you want to understand what is happening in China? Are you fascinated by Russia? Do you long to visit Europe? Are you captivated with different languages and cultures? Are you ready to become A Global Citizen? The international affairs and diplomacy major is your ticket to the world. The program draws from various disciplines such as political science, history, economics and foreign languages, to help you explore the relationships between different peoples and countries across the globe.
While you are completing the international affairs and diplomacy major requirements, you will discover how different nations and cultures have been developed, learn about the art of diplomacy, discover how globalization is changing international trade, and how foreign policy decisions are made. The interdisciplinary nature of the major allows you to customize your learning experience to fit your interests, so you can explore international relations from a variety of political, historical, and economic perspectives.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Be the Change: An Introduction to Public Service
- US Politics in Crisis: American Government, Politics, and Society
- Going Global: An Introduction to World Politics
- Living the Good Life: Political Philosophy and You
- Exploring the World: An Introduction to Geography
- Introduction to Law and the Legal System
- Congressional Politics: Issues and Controversies
- American President: Power and Leadership in the 21st Century
- Travel Seminar
- International Relations
- Comparative Political Systems
- US Foreign Policy: Past, Present and Future
- Intelligence Analysis
- Constitutional Law
- Elections: How to Run and Win
- Public Policy
- Environmental Politics: Pollution, Sustainability and Climate Change
- Education Policy
- Legal Advocacy
- Civil Rights: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation Discrimination
- Citizens and Subjects: The Roots of Western Political Thought
- Freedom and Revolution: The Roots of Modern Political Thought
- Global Competition: The Dynamics of International Political Economy
- Market and Business Analysis
- Africa’s Promise: Challenges and Opportunities of the ‘Forgotten Continent’
- Europe’s Future: Politics, Society, and Economy
- The Rise of Asia: Politics, Society, and Economy
- Post-Soviet Politics: From Soviet Collapse to Resurgence
- Problems of Developing Nations
- The Middle East: Challenges and Opportunities of a Volatile Region
- Introduction to Political Science Methods and Inquiry
- Quantitative Political Analysis
- Seminar in Political Science
- Seminar in International Studies
- Independent Study
- Seminar in National Security
- Honors Thesis/Project
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Students will appropriately apply the methodology used in the respective fields.
- Students will accurately identify the major theories and dominant paradigms used in the study of international relations and foreign policy analysis including realism/neo-realism, liberalism/neo-liberalism, globalist/Marxist, and postmodernism/post-structuralism.
- Students will identify the major actors in the international system on the macro, mezzo, and micro levels of analysis and their function and interaction in interstate relations.
- Students will identify and describe the major processes in the international system including globalization, integration, and the causes of conflict.
- Students will accurately identify the major theories and dominant paradigms used in the study of comparative politics including theories on democratization, transition, and political development.
- Students will identify and describe different political systems and distinguish between the various forms of democracies and authoritarian systems that exist.
- Students will describe and explain how different types of political systems in other nations function both theoretically and in application.
There is no doubt that we live in an inter-connected world, and that today’s youth are members of the first truly global generation. Technological advances, foreign policy and a reliance on the goods and services of others have connected our world in ways we could have never imagined just a few decades ago. That’s why it is absolutely imperative that we develop the knowledge and understanding to live in this increasingly interdependent reality.
With a solid foundation in political science, history, economics and foreign languages, our international affairs and diplomacy major will prepare you to be a leader in today’s global world. As part of the major requirements you will explore the concepts of international relations as well as comparative politics and area studies. From international affairs and the interactions between domestic and international affairs of nations to the political, historical and economic perspectives and the interactions between domestic and international affairs of nations, you’ll develop the skills and understanding that is critical to career success in a number of fields in international studies.
Common careers include:
- International public service
- Travel and tourism
- Business and law
- Market Analyst
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in International Affairs and Diplomacy? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Has COVID-19 affected your study abroad plans?
We want to hear your stories. Help us get a better idea of how the coronavirus is impacting international students by taking our two minute survey.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic
9,940 EUR-14,880 EUR
Prague, Czech Republic