Bachelor's Degree in Japanese
The Japanese major at the University of Mount Union provides an attractive curriculum in and beyond the classroom. A strong in-class curriculum and experiential learning, including study abroad and internships, will prepare students for work in the real world. Students have the opportunity to explore careers and professions for teaching, business, international affairs, and science.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Elementary Japanese I
- Elementary Japanese II
- Japanese Conversation
- Japanese Composition
- Japanese through Popular Culture
- Japanese through Film
- Travel Seminar
- Reading in Japanese
- Topics in Japanese Literature
- The Peoples and Cultures of Contemporary Japan
- Japanese Conversation and Composition Practicum
- Advanced Japanese Language and Culture
- A Cultural Study of Japan
- Advanced Readings in Japanese
- Japanese for the Professions
- Japanese Translation
- Methods of Teaching Japanese
- Practicum in the Teaching of Japanese
- Teaching Japanese in the Elementary School
- Advanced Special Topics
- Teaching Assistant Practicum – Japanese
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
- Students will demonstrate the level of proficiency necessary to enable them to function in an environment where Japanese is used exclusively. Students will demonstrate speaking, listening, reading, and writing in Japanese at the ACTFL Intermediate-High Level. Additionally, Japanese majors will demonstrate the ability to read written passages and write compositions using Kanji Characters.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the cultures and civilizations of the principal groups of people who speak Japanese, from a variety of perspectives, including the historical, geographical, sociopolitical, literary, and artistic.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of the relevance of foreign languages to professions and careers.
Japanese is spoken by more than 115 million people worldwide. In our global society, the investment by Japanese companies in the United States continues to grow, and global demand for speakers of Japanese is increasing. In Ohio alone, more than 200 Japanese companies operate branch offices. Whether your interests lie in business, education, technology, or translation, our Japanese degree program will prepare you for career success.
Not only will our Japanese major prepare you to speak, write, read, and listen to the language, but you also will be versed in the culture, daily living patterns, social structure, and value system of Japan. Whether entering the workforce or pursuing graduate studies, a major in Japanese at the University of Mount Union can certainly give you an edge in numerous career fields.
Common careers include:
- Teaching English and/or Japanese Domestically
- Teaching English Abroad
- Public relations
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor in Japanese? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!