Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science
The University of Mount Union’s Bachelor of Science in environmental science emphasizes examining environmental issues through hands-on field and laboratory activities. Students experience in-depth training in one selected field of science – chemistry, geology or biology – in preparation for a rewarding career.
Faculty at Mount Union are dedicated professionals committed to helping students excel and gain real-world knowledge to pursue careers or further study in graduate school. Mount Union students get the unique opportunity to participate in studies and fieldwork at the University-owned Huston-Brumbaugh Nature Center just a few miles from campus.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Environmental Science
- Special Topics in Environmental Science
- Hydrology and Water Resources
- Geographical Information Systems
- Special Topics in Environmental Science
- Case Studies in Environmental Science
- Honors Thesis/Project
- Internships in Environmental Science
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to gather and analyze information and data that include biological, chemical, physical, and sociological aspects of environmental conditions and processes.
- Graduates will be able to make appropriate use of scientific information and data including assessing reliability, interpreting results, and drawing reasonable conclusions.
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to apply scientific findings to current environmental issues and concerns.
- Graduates will be able to evaluate environmental issues in terms of the needs of society.
- Graduates will demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form using scientific style.
- Graduates will be able to identify and explain the principles of responsible conduct within the scientific community.
- Graduates will demonstrate skills and aptitudes appropriate for securing employment or acceptance to graduate programs in environmental science or related fields.
Environmental science majors at Mount Union, learn to address environmental issues through an approach that emphasizes hands-on field and laboratory experiences that promote in-depth training in preparation for future careers or graduate study.
This is a field that is in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the number of jobs for environmental scientists is expected to grow faster than the average throughout the course of this decade at a rate of 11 percent. According to the BLS, environmental scientists will see substantial employment growth in private consulting firms that assist clients with the monitoring and management of environmental concerns and compliance with regulations. The majority of jobs will continue to be concentrated within the various levels of government and closely related industries including universities, hospitals, and national research facilities.
The environment is a hot topic in today’s society, and more and more people are becoming involved in fixing the problems that are plaguing our planet. As the world’s population continues to grow, it will require more work to keep our environment clean. Stricter laws and increasing regulations demand businesses and governments to hire scientists to ensure they are in compliance.
Common careers include:
- Natural resources and conservation
- Public health
- Environmental monitoring and remediation
- Industrial environmental management
- Research and higher education
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor in Environmental Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Campbellsville, United States of America