MSc Cyber Security
Gain a comprehensive and critical understanding of the theory and techniques of cyber security and how to apply them to real-world situations with this part-time, fully online Cyber Security MSc from the University of Liverpool.
This specialist degree will build your ability to research, design, implement and deploy creative cyber security solutions. Graduates will be equipped with all the tools needed to take up a rewarding career in this fast-growing sector which is currently suffering from a significant skills shortage.
Applicants should possess either:
- A degree in computer science or a closely related subject, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ relevant IT professional experience; or
- Professional work experience in IT or a related field and/or other prior qualifications, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must have reached a minimum required standard of English language and are required to provide evidence of this. Successful applicants from outside the UK must have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 overall or equivalent.
Graduates who are already in IT-related employment who seek to enhance their abilities in the rapidly expanding field of cyber security.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Is this the right course for you?
This programme will give you a comprehensive understanding of the theoretical underpinning that supports the domain of cyber security. You will develop a critical understanding of the challenges in assessing and managing security risks within the modern workplace and gain familiarity with the tools and techniques that may be deployed to prevent and limit cyber-crime. You will also be equipped with an in-depth understanding of the processes available to investigate suspected cyber-attacks.
Through this programme, you will:
- Develop the theoretical underpinning needed to specialise in the critical domain of cyber security. You will gain the ability to manage security risks within the modern workplace and an understanding of the tools and techniques needed to prevent or limit cyber-crime.
- Apply your practical skills to one of the biggest challenges in modern society. Throughout the programme, you will create a professional development plan and build an e-portfolio to exhibit your understanding of the domain of cyber security and its practical application.
- Learn from leading experts in a culture of research excellence. Our passionate lecturers are highly regarded within the field for the topic they teach, from security engineering to cyber forensics. Our research-led ethos encourages students to participate in an innovative and stimulating environment.
- Access our online development environment to practice and refine your new skills. Throughout your programme, you will be exposed to state-of-the-art technologies and have access to industry-standard solutions, available to you as cloud services, open-source software, or commercials technology; all included within your tuition fee.
Learn from industry experts.
This programme is delivered by the Department of Computer Science, who are known worldwide for their excellence in artificial intelligence research and have been at the forefront of key developments in computer science since 1983. The 2014 Research Excellence Framework rated 97% of the department’s research as being world-leading or internationally excellent, the highest proportion of any Computer Science department in the UK.
The Cyber Security MSc consists of the following taught modules and a final dissertation project.
- Global Trends in Computer Science
- Security Engineering and Compliance
- Applied Cryptography
- Cyber Crime Prevention and Protection
- Cyber Forensics
- Security Risk Management
- 1 elective module from:
- Deep Learning
- Machine Learning in Practice
- Multi-Agent Systems
- Natural Language Processing and Understanding
- Reasoning and Intelligent Systems
- Research Methods in Computer Science
- Computer Science Capstone Project.
There is a brief break scheduled between modules to allow students to refresh themselves and reflect on what they have learned.
Shorter postgraduate diploma (120 credits) and postgraduate certificate (60 credits) awards are also available in this subject.
Scholarships & funding
We are delighted to offer different tuition fee discounts and scholarships for eligible students. For information about scholarship options, please send us an information request.
Learn online anytime, anywhere.
Get the University of Liverpool experience wherever you are in the world. This 100% online course features interactive classes and regular contact with staff and fellow students across the globe. Teaching is delivered through our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which provides students with access to all resources required for interactive study online. On this platform, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with classmates and actively read around your topic through our comprehensive library of eBooks and journals.
Assessments are exclusively through online assignments rather than examinations. You will be assessed through a range of activities, including written assignments, discussion forum participation and journal entries.
Full tuition fee – £15,300* (2020/2021 academic year)
- The tuition fee is fully inclusive of all costs: teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
- If you live in England, you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the costs of your degree. If you are not eligible for a student loan, you will be offered a simple monthly payment plan to spread the cost of your tuition over the duration of your studies.
- You will receive a 5% discount if you choose to pay the full tuition fee upfront.
- Scholarships of up to 15% of your tuition fee may be available.
For more details, you can speak to the University of Liverpool Online Programmes admission team by visiting our website.
Our tuition fees are the same for all students and there are no hidden costs.
Enhance your career opportunities.
As the level of internet-facilitated working has grown and continues to grow, robust cybersecurity measures are increasingly necessary for businesses of all sizes and from all sectors. Through this programme, you will develop skills with an immediate practical application in the workplace. It will provide a solid foundation for your further career development towards senior technical and managerial positions in the field of cyber security.
Visit our website for more information on the career support you will receive as a University of Liverpool student.
The University of Liverpool is a member of the elite Russell Group of research-led UK universities and ranked in the top 200 universities worldwide.
We have been offering online programmes since 2000 and are one of Europe’s leading providers of wholly online postgraduate degrees.
Our online learning model can fit into busy lifestyles, offering flexibility within a framework that works across time zones.
About this institute
University of Liverpool Online Programmes
University of Liverpool Online Programs provide a flexible study option to further your learning and progress your career while continuing with your current professional and personal commitments. You will receive a highly regarded qualification from the University of Liverpool, a...
Want to know more about MSc Cyber Security? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...