Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
The Master of Arts in Songwriting is a one year, full-time postgraduate program, which focuses on the artistic practice of songwriting with opportunities to perform and record work. The course is cognisant of the wide variety of approaches to songwriting that one might adopt and will not attempt to be a ‘how-to’. Rather, this is a space where students can explore and be exposed to a range of writing techniques, whilst having the dedicated time and resources to develop their own body of work. This will be through a combination of solo work and collaboration with a community of fellow songwriters with guidance from songwriting mentors.
In addition, the course provides a toolkit of core skills that students can draw from in areas such as music theory and arranging, technology and production, promotion, copyright and publishing as well as the central focus of writing, recording and/or performing.
- A primary degree in a suitable discipline with first or second class honours or an approved equivalent qualification (Primary degree: Level 8 - National Qualifications Authority of Ireland) Or
- an equivalent capability based on prior professional experience in songwriting and/or performance.
A performance audition and interview will be required in all cases. Additional audio, visual or written material may be required.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Songwriting Style and Context 1
- Songwriting Process 1
- Media Technologies for Performing Arts & Arts Research
- Professional Development for the Performing Arts
- Writing and Documentation of Arts Practice 1
Students choose 3 of the following elective modules:
- Introduction to Fieldwork Techniques
- Introduction to Ritual Studies
- Independent Study 1
- Introduction to Somatics
- Colloquium 1
- Instrumental Skills for Songwriters
- Irish World Academy Ensembles
- Applied Music Theory for Songwriters
- Songwriting Style and Context 2
- Songwriting Process 2
- Critical Contexts for Arts Management & Cultural Policy
- Performance and Media Technologies for Songwriters
- Promotion and Dissemination for Songwriters
Students choose Min 1 (6 credit) Max 2 (3 credit) of the following elective modules:
- Broadening through Awareness, Activism & the Arts (Postgraduate)
- Individual Creative Writing project (6 credits)
- Independent Study 2
- Writing and Documentation of Arts Practice 2
- Critical Engagements with Irish Traditional Music
- Introduction to Somatics 2
- Interdisciplinary Practice
- Final Presentation
- EU: €5,912
- Non-EU: €12,885
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
The student will gain:
- Originality - a strong sense of individual voice
- Wide core skill set
- Strong basis for sustainable career as a songwriter / space to explore and spend dedicated time to support existing career as songwriter
- Critical engagement with artistic practice
- Songwriting honed through supportive and reflective critique
- Exposure to wide range of approaches to songwriting
The program is beneficial for students wishing to pursue careers in songwriting, recording and/or performance or for those who wish to add to their creative skills in other related areas of work such as community music or music education.
About this institute
University of Limerick
The University of Limerick (UL) is renowned for its graduate employability, dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement. With close to 16,000 students, including 3,000 international students, UL is...
Why study at University of Limerick
The Universities commitment to graduate employability, UL`s dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement.
The University of Limerick houses a broad range of world class and specialist equipment and facilities that give students and researchers an immersive and practical approach to their studies and research.
For more information, please visit our website
Want to know more about Songwriting MA? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America