About this program
Nursing (Older Person) - MSc
The overall aim of the programme is to provide registered nurses with the opportunity to enhance previously acquired professional education and develop critical inquiry, knowledge and skills, attributes and competencies in preparation for developing roles within older person nursing. Successful completion of year 1 (Graduate Diploma) will provide students with the academic qualifications necessary to be considered for Clinical Nurse Specialist posts. Successful completion of year 2 (MSc) will provide students with the academic qualifications to be considered for Advanced Nursing Practice posts. The programme provides opportunities to explore research as evidence for enhancing and changing practice. The programme also provides opportunities for nurses to develop critical thinking and reflective skills at specialist and advanced practice levels. The programme will develop professional qualities and a high level of competence in the promotion of excellence and current best practice in the delivery and appraisal of advancing practice in older person nursing.
A registered nurse on the current register of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland
Be engaged in practice as a registered nurse for at least one year
Students would normally possess a primary degree (Minimum 2H2) or show evidence of recognized prior learning (RPL) as outlined in the (RPL) policy of the University and Department of Nursing and Midwifery
Students are required to be working in an older person setting for the duration of the Program
The MSc in Nursing (Older Person) will be offered as a full-time Program but taken on a part-time basis over two years with the option of an exit award on completion of year 1 (Graduate Diploma). Students can also opt to progress to year two for the MSc award having attained a minimum QCA of 2.00 at the end of year one.
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of either prior successful completion of a degree qualification taught through the medium of English or meet criteria identified in the English Language qualifications set by the University of Limerick Click here
English Language Requirements
- Duolingo - The Minimum Requirement Will Be a Det Score of 110. an Interview May Be Required in Conjunction With This for Certain Programs.
- Matriculation Examinations - From European Countries Where English Is Presented as a Subject and an Acceptable Level Is Achieved
- Irish Leaving Certificate English - Ordinary Level Grade D or Above
- TOEFL - 580 (Paper Based) or 90 (Internet Based)
- IELTS - Minimum Score of 6.5* With No Less Than 6.0 in Any Component.
- ETAPP English Test for Academic and Professional Purposes - Grade C1
- GCE ‘O’ Level English Language/ Gcse English Language - Grade C or Above
- University of Cambridge ESOL - Certificate of Proficiency in English - Grade C / Certificate in Advanced English - Grade B
- GCE Examination Boards - Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations - Grade C / Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate - School Certificate Pass 1-6 / University of London Entrance and School Examinations Council - School Certificate Pass 1-6
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic - A Minimum Score of 61 (With No Section Score Below 59)
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Health Research – Methods and Methodology
- Philosophical Underpinnings of Gerontology care
- Clinical Practicum 1
- Promoting Quality and Safety in Health Care
- Management and Coordination of Gerontology Care
- Clinical Practicum 2
- Dissertation 1
- Dissertation 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Full Time Tution fee for 2021/2022:
- EU Fee: 4,750€
- Non EU Fee: 11,734€
On completion of the programme the student will:
- Critically examine evidence that informs best practice in the care of the older person in the context of gerontological care
- Critically explore the philosophy of gerontological care and biopsychosocial perspectives on ageing, current trends and issues in ageing, complexities and challenges of nursing older people, person centred approaches to care, promotion of positive ageing
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of models of gerontology assessment and therapeutic interventions currently used in care of older persons
- Apply critical thinking skills and ethical decision making required in practice
Demonstrate proficiency in written, verbal, and digital communication skills, at individual and collaborative levels
- Critically examine the value of interdisciplinary collaboration in the provision of quality evidenced based care
- Critically review current innovations and developments in leading and managing change in practice
Message the school
About this institute
University of Limerick
The University of Limerick (UL) is renowned for its graduate employability, dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement. With close to 16,000 students, including 3,000 international students, UL is...
Why study at University of Limerick
The Universities commitment to graduate employability, UL`s dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement.
The University of Limerick houses a broad range of world class and specialist equipment and facilities that give students and researchers an immersive and practical approach to their studies and research.
For more information, please visit our website
Want to know more about Nursing (Older Person) MSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!