About this program
Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry
The Pharmaceutical & Industrial Chemistry degree course qualifies you for employment in a variety of professional careers in the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biomedical and chemical sectors. The course structure combines both theory and practical work to ensure graduates are well prepared for the challenges of a position in each of these fields upon graduation. Fundamental and applied aspects of organic, inorganic, physical and analytical chemistry are covered as well as key elements of computational chemistry and chemical engineering.
In the third year of the programme, you will spend eight months as a full-time paid employee of a pharmaceutical or chemical company during the work placement period (Cooperative Education). The course is accredited by the Institute of Chemistry of Ireland and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) with graduates eligible for RSC Chartered Chemist status.
Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: Two H5 (Higher Level) grades and Four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or another language, and English.
In addition, applicants must hold a minimum grade O3/H7 in Mathematics and a Grade H4in any one of the following: Agricultural Science, Applied Maths, Biology, Chemistry,Physics, Physics with Chemistry.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- General Chemistry 1
- Biology 1
- Science Mathematics1
- Laboratory Calculations
- Introduction to Environmental & Biosciences
- Introduction to Applied Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Introduction to Scientific Computations
- Biology for Biosciences
- Organic Chemistry 1
- Science Mathematics 2
- General Chemistry 2 (INORGANIC)
- General Chemistry 2 (PHYSICAL)
- Maths 3
- Physical Chemistry 2 (Adv Kinetics and Photochemistry)
- Analytical Chemistry 1
- Organic Chemistry 2 (Mechanism & Reaction)
- Inorganic Chemistry 2 (Periodicity and Transition Elements)
- Maths 4
- Physical Chemistry 3 (Phase Equilibria)
- Analytical Chemistry 2 (Seperation Methods)
- Organic Chemistry 3 (Biomolecules and Heterocycles)
- Process Technology 1 (Process Modelling and Control)
- Physical Chemistry 4 (Electrochemistry)
- Analytical Chemistry 3 (Solids and Surface Analysis)
- Organic Chemistry 4 (Polymers)
- Process Technology 2 (Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer)
- Process Technology 3 (Reactor Design and Operation)
- Cooperative Education
- Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Process Technology 4 (Mass Transfer Separations)
- Organic Pharm Chemistry 1
- Final Year Project 1
- Organic Pharm Chemistry 2
- Analytical Chemistry 4 (Advanced Spectroscopy)
- Batch (Pharmaceutical) Process Engineering
- Final Year Project 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Full Time Tution fee for 2021/2022:
- EU Fee: 7,356€
- Non EU Fee: 16,794€
NFQ Level 8 major Award Honours Bachelor Degree
- Analysing and problem-solving
- Monitoring/maintaining records and data
- Working in teams
- Communicating (verbal and written)
- Excellent laboratory techniques
- Specific knowledge in the traditional fields of chemistry, inorganic, organic, physical, analytical and materials
- Strong mathematical and numerical ability
- Time management
- IT skills
- GradDip in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Graduate Entry)
- MAin Business Management
Graduates progressing directly into employment take up a wide variety of roles. The following provides a sample of initial roles listed on the Graduate Outcomes Survey by graduates approximately one year after graduation:
- Graduate Research & Development Chemist
- Teaching Assistant
- Operations Associate
- Product Design Lead
- Production Engineer
- Regulatory Affairs Specialist
- Research Chemist
Message the school
About this institute
University of Limerick
The University of Limerick (UL) is renowned for its graduate employability, dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement. With close to 16,000 students, including 3,000 international students, UL is...
Why study at University of Limerick
The Universities commitment to graduate employability, UL`s dedication to the student experience, industry-relevant programmes, award-winning research, stunning campus and UL`s deep commitment to community engagement.
The University of Limerick houses a broad range of world class and specialist equipment and facilities that give students and researchers an immersive and practical approach to their studies and research.
For more information, please visit our website
Want to know more about Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!