French Philology (Sub-program of Academic Program Philology)University of Latvia
About this program
French Philology (Sub-program of Academic Program Philology)
The sub-Program prepares competent and competitive French language specialists. Special attention is paid to the acquisition of another Romance language (choice: Spanish or Italian), as well as to the acquisition and study of the culture and literature of the region. The program is taught by native speaker academic staff members. Students with and without prior knowledge of French are accepted in the sub-Program.
High school / secondary education (or higher)
Applicants applying for undergraduate degree studies are required to have completed their secondary /high school education.
Grades in Biology or Naturescience, Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry must be no less than 6 (or “almost good”) in a 10 point grading system.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Latvian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Applicants must upload education documents in their original language, as well as translations into English.
Applicants must prove their English language knowledge. University accepts the following international language tests:
- LanguageCert International ESOL at least Level Communicator B2 (Written and Spoken exams);
- TOEFL IBT – at least score 72
- TOEFL Essential – at least 8 points
- IELTS – at least score 5.5
- PTE General – at least level B2
- FCE – at least level B
- CPE – Proficiency/C2 Proficiency: any level
- CAE – C1 Advanced any level
Applicants who have obtained previous education in English in one of the bellow listed countries do not need to provide separate language proficiency:
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Civil protection
- Introduction to Western Philosophy
- Introduction to Humanities
- Introduction to Literary Criticism in the Multinational Context
- Introduction to linguistics in a multilingual context
- Course paper
- World literature
- Intercultural Communication
- Basics of Translation and Language Learning
- Environment protection
- Basic of the Academic Language and Terminology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The full – time degree Program covers three academic years. Classes are mainly from 8.30am till 6pm in the working days.
- Tuition fee per year - 2200 EUR for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, permanent residence permit holders and their family members
- Tuition fee per year - 2880 EUR for citizens of other countries
Credits: 120 or 180
Degree to be achieved: Bachelor Degree in Humanities in Language Studies
Tasks of the program:
- To develop a critical understanding of the field, an understanding of the most important concepts and regularities required for a professional activity in which humanitarian education and knowledge of foreign languages make a basic contribution;
- to promote students' independence and creativity in the study process, to stimulate interest in cognition and professional development;
- to motivate and prepare BSP graduates for master's studies;
- to involve students in international study mobility programs, promoting the implementation of the European experience, as well as the closer integration of Latvia into the common European educational space.
- to develop knowledge of the French language and culture, as well as an understanding of the cultural heritage of Francophone;
- to demonstrate and promote research in the field of French linguistics and literary studies, to develop critical and analytical thinking and professional competences in these fields in the context / framework of modern Romani languages;
- to provide students with greater opportunities to enter the labor market, providing the opportunity to learn another Romance language in addition to French.
Job opportunities are wide: state and municipal institutions, foreign affairs departments, national embassies (cultural and / or public relations / media information specialist), media companies and publishing houses (editor, proofreader, advertising specialist), translation agencies, research institutions (language specialist, consultant ), libraries, museums (knowledge of language / literature materials, organizer of cultural / educational events), schools, language courses (teacher).
Message the school
About this institute
University of Latvia
The University of Latvia (UL) offers European-level higher education and skills necessary for the labor market, scientific research, and self-development. The quality of studies, research, international collaboration, and innovations ranked the UL among 4% of the world’s best universities. The...
Why study at University of Latvia
10 reasons to study at the UL:
- Financial support to best students
- Wide range of international exchange programmes to world’s top universities
- Comprehensive and high-quality study programmes in fields of Humanities, Social and Natural sciences
- Worldwide recognized Diploma
- Modern study environment
- Internship opportunities in Latvia and abroad
- Inspiring academic and supportive administrative staff
- Opportunity to create and start your own business during studies at the Student Business Incubator
- Excellent leisure facilities and interesting student life
- Affordable and guaranteed place in student dormitories
University of Latvia
Want to know more about French Philology (Sub-program of Academic Program Philology)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!