Master's Program in Geology and Geophysics
Sustaining a growing population on our dynamic planet requires deep understanding of geological and geophysical processes within the Earth, and of how they interact with the atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biota. The Master's Program in Geology and Geophysics trains you to address pressing questions concerning our home planet's evolution, its role as the source of raw materials needed by modern civilization, and environmental issues.
This program is also available in Finnish and Swedish.
Eligibility to apply for a master's Program requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
At the beginning of the advanced studies, you will familiarise yourself with the central research methods in the field. The studies consist of intensive learning in small groups on practical work courses, guided laboratory work on specialised courses, and tailored short-term courses led by international and Finnish experts. In addition, you will be able to take part are a variety of field courses and excursions (in Finland and beyond) to familiarise yourself with research topics in their natural surroundings.
The MSc-studies consist of three parts:
- Common courses, which are the same for all study tracks and includes a total of 50 ECTS credit points.
- Advanced courses in each study track, which comprise 35-65 ECTS credits depending on the specialisation. These courses are divided into essential and elective courses. Courses from other campuses, exchange studies or JOO-studies (from other Finnish universities ) can be included to elective advanced studies as well.
- Optional courses, which you are free to select from other campuses, other Finnish universities, so-called JOO-studies, language courses, etc. These courses can be combined with the common and advanced courses to reach 120 ECTS cp.
The yearly tuition fee (for non-EU/EEA citizens only) is 15000€
Scholarships & funding
Scholarships are intended for excellent students from outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland who want to complete a Master's program at the University of Helsinki.
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Upon completion of the Program, you will have gained expertise in a number of scientific and professional skills, including, depending on your specialist option:
- Assessment of geological materials (minerals, rock types, bedrock, groundwater)
- Understanding the genesis and sustainable use of mineral commodities
- Sustainable use of the environment from the Earth Science perspective
- Paleontology and modelling global change using the geological record
- The physical evolution of the Earth (plate tectonics, interplay of the mantle and crust)
- Independent and team-driven project research
- High-level scientific writing (M.Sc. thesis and related work)
- Presentation of scientific results to scientists, students, and the general public
How can we decode Earth’s rock record to reveal the evolution of Earth’s crust and mantle over billions of years? How do we make natural resource exploration and extraction more sustainable and environmentally friendly? What can the Earth’s history tell us to help us forecast the impacts of climate change? The Master's programme in Geology and Geophysics trains you to address pressing questions concerning our home planet's evolution, its role as the source of raw materials needed by modern civilisation, and environmental issues. Sustaining a growing population on our dynamic planet requires deep understanding of geological and geophysical processes within the Earth, and of how they interact with the atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biota.
About this institute
University of Helsinki
At the University of Helsinki, we believe that we can change the world. This is the foundation for both our research and education. By completing a degree from this top-ranked European university you become part of the university's almost 400...
Want to know more about Master's Program in Geology and Geophysics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
COVID-19: Support for Current and Prospective Students
We believe in making study abroad a safe, positive experience for everyone. Find out what we're doing to help our users in light of recent coronavirus (COVID-19) developments.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...