Veterinary TechnologyUniversity of Guelph
All available course dates
Through course instruction and intensive hands-on learning you will receive the technical knowledge and skills required to become a veterinary technician working in association with practicing veterinarians. This program is accredited by the Canadian and American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians.
- Training related to the care of companion, large, and laboratory animals
- Distance education courses completed during the fall and winter semesters
- On-campus training for 13 weeks beginning in May and ending in July for three consecutive summers
- Excellent teaching facilities modeled from a veterinary clinic
- Accredited by the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians, Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, and the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Small working groups with excellent student to instructor ratios
- Program facilities inspected by the Canadian Council on Animal Care
- Graduates consistently achieve top scores on the Veterinary Technician National Exam to become Registered Veterinary Technicians (RVT)
Chat live with students from University of Guelph
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Guelph? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
Academic Courses & Mark Requirements
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or Equivalent;
- Grade 12C or U Math and English
- Grade 11C or U Biology
- Grade 12C or Grade 11U Chemistry
- For each course listed above, a minimum 75% final average at the College Level is required or 65% final average at the University Level is required.
If an applicant has not completed Grade 12C or U Math and English at the time of the application deadline, the applicants’ grade 11 marks will be considered in the assessment process, but the grade 12 courses are still required to be completed at the minimum grade.
Health Occupational Aptitude Exam (HOAE): Applicants who have met, or are in the process of meeting, the academic requirements, will be required to write this pre-admissions test at Ridgetown Campus or another designated testing location.
Students with prior post-secondary education are to submit their secondary school and post-secondary transcripts for admission consideration.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Veterinary Technology (F)
- Large Animal Production & Management I (F)
- Companion Animal Management (W)
- Large Animal Production & Managment II (W)
- Anatomy & Physiology (S)
- Communications and Veterinary Software (S)
- Medical Exercises I (S)
- Medical Exercises II (S)
- Microbiology, Cytology, and Hematology I (S)
- Pharmacology and Vet. Math (S)
- Urinalysis (S)
- Introduction to Immunobiology (F)
- Veterinary Nursing Techniques (F)
- Introduction to Anesthetic Principles (W)
- Intro to Radiography (W)
- Animal Dentistry I (S)
- Clinical Chemistry (S)
- Exercises in Radiography (S)
- Haematology II (S)
- Surgical Exercises (S)
- Veterinary Anatomy/Physiology (S)
- Veterinary Nursing Techniques II (S)
- Public Health (F)
- Veterinary Nursing Techniques III (W)
- Animal Dentistry II (S)
- Radiography II (S)
- Surgical and Anaesthetic Principals II (S)
- Veterinary Clinic Management (S)
- Veterinary Nursing Techniques IV (S)
- Veterinary Parasitology (S)
- Veterinary Technician Practical Applications (S)
All students must satisfactorily complete a 6-week placement in the veterinary industry upon successful completion of Semester 9 courses to fulfill program requirements and receive their diploma.
(F) - Fall semester
(W) - Winter semester
(S) - Summer semester, On-Campus
Scholarships & funding
We offer several scholarships, for more information please visit our website.
Tuition fees for Canadian Students/Permanent Residents - $8,347 per year and for International Students - $18,208 - $26,839 per year
Graduates from the Associate Diploma in Veterinary Technology program have a variety of career opportunities, including:
- Artificial Insemination Technician
- Equine Facilities Manager
- Farm Operations Manager
- Government Inspector
- Independent Pet Business Owner
- Livestock Manager
- Pet Care Supply Representative
- Pharmaceutical Technical Representative
- Race Track Technician
- Research Technician
- Specialty or Referral Hospital Technician
- Swine or Dairy Herdsperson
- Veterinary Technician (companion, mixed or large animal practice)
About this institute
University of Guelph
The University of Guelph is ranked as one of Canada’s top comprehensive universities, with top marks in student experience. No matter where you're from, once you enrol at U of G, you’re part of a community – a network of...
Why study at University of Guelph
The city of Guelph was ranked in 2019 as one of the top 50 places to live in Canada.
The university campus boats a gorgeous walking campus, stunning greenery and beautiful building and facilities.
With over 200 student clubs, 7 dining halls, 19 intramural sports and a 25,000 sq. foot fitness centre, you can see why we are recognized as a Canadian leader in student experience.
There are so many ways for prospective international students to reach out to the university. Check out all our social media handles, as well as our university website and admission pages for up to date news. We also offer international students the ability to chat with current international students through our UniBuddy platform. Go onto our international admission webpages to find more details on how to get in touch with a student or staff UniBuddy and start chatting!
Want to know more about Veterinary Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Grayslake, United States of America