Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Explore genetics, physiology, behaviour, welfare and nutrition. Obtain a broad overview of animal production systems and animal bioscience, and learn the science of breeding, feeding, care and management of agricultural animals. Expand your knowledge with electives, senior courses and undergraduate research projects. Build a career in veterinary medicine, the nutrition industry, animal care and welfare, or education and research. Also see B.Sc. (Agr.) Animal Science.
The animal biology major, offered as part of the Bachelor of Science degree program, emphasizes the science underlying the practical husbandry of animals, primarily those used for food products but also companion and exotic species. You will acquire a broad overview of animal production systems and a detailed understanding of how these rely increasingly on our emerging knowledge in fields such as genetics, molecular biology, reproductive technology, nutrition, environmental physiology, behaviour and welfare.
Admission to semester one of a degree program and General Studies is available in the Fall semester only. A semester one degree applicant is defined as one who will receive fewer than 2.00 transfer credits upon admission.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Major (Honours Program)
- Biology of Plants & Animals in Managed Ecosystems
- General Chemistry I
- Elements of Calculus I
- Physics for Life Sciences
- Principles of Animal Care and Welfare
- Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
- General Chemistry II
- Physics for Life Sciences II
- Animal Production Systems, Health and Industry
- Introduction to Biochemistry
- Foundations in Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Fundamentals of Plant and Animal Genetics
- Structure of Farm Animals
- Molecular Biology of the Cell
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Statistics I
- Agricultural Animal Physiology
- Introduction to Animal Nutrition
- Animal Reproduction
- Animal Disorders
- Quantitative Genetics
- Electives or restricted electives
- Electives or restricted electives
Tuition fees for Canadian Students/Permanent Residents - $6,091 per year and for International Students - $24,300 - 33,551 per year
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Animal bioscience specialist (research and education)
- Animal behaviourst/animal care
- Animal nutritionist
- Pet nutrition consultant
- Product quality controller
About this institute
University of Guelph
The University of Guelph is ranked as one of Canada’s top comprehensive universities, with top marks in student experience. No matter where you're from, once you enrol at U of G, you’re part of a community – a network of...
Why study at University of Guelph
A few highlights...
- Top marks for Student Experience (Maclean's, 2019)
- Oldest Veterinary medicine degree in North America and ranked #7 worldwide in Veterinary Sciences (QS World University Rankings, 2019)
- 90.15% of our grads are employed within 6 months of graduation
- Experiential learning and co-op opportunities available in many of our undergraduate degrees
- One of the world's top 400 universities (Time Higher Education, 2012-2017)
- Five star ranking and ranked in the top 20 universities in Canada (QS World University Rankings 2019)
Want to know more about Animal Biology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Bloemfontein, South Africa