Culture and heritage are the sinews of a society. In an era marked by rapid change and technologies that open up new possibilities, ambitious and critical cultural leaders are required to foster the cultural core of a sustainable society.
Culture defines humanity. Managing the valuation and transmission of culture through policy, entrepreneurship, and education across generations is therefore a key responsibility for a sustainable society. In our modern society, culture has to be negotiated as it is shaped by digitisation and new media, ethnic and cultural diversity, changing audiences and economic circumstances, dwindling public funds, and a loss of shared historical awareness. The mission of the Master's track Cultural Leadership is to educate future leaders in the cultural domain, both national and international, enabling them to carry culture forward in a critical, sustainable, and creative manner. The programme equips students with essential scholarly expertise and analytical and strategic skills.
The Master's track Cultural Leadership:
- is innovative: it prepares master students for a cultural field which quickly changes due to technological, pedagogical, political, and societal developments. It offers new methods and tools (e.g., hands-on history, digital curating) to help rethink the cultural field.
- has a dual character: it combines theoretical and object-oriented courses and a thesis with a six months research traineeship.
- has a well-defined aim: to equip students with the knowledge and skills to develop an inspiring, responsible, and realistic vision on how we can carry culture into the future.
- Assessment: a personal (video) interview is part of the selection process.
- Grade list: excellent academic record.
- Language test: minimum requirement of TOEFL iBT 100 (with a minimum of 25 on writing skills) or IELTS 7 (with a minimum of 6.5 on all items). ERK level C1.
- Previous education: BA degree in
- Language and Culture Studies
- Arts and Culture Studies
- Or any study related to the aforementioned programmes
- Reference letter: 2 letters of recommendation from relevant experts.
- Other admission requirements: we strongly advice you to start the programme in September.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
EU students 2019-2020: €2,083/year
Non- EU students 2019-2020: €12,500/ year
Master of Arts (MA) in Arts & Culture (research)
About this institute
The University of Groningen is one of the oldest universities in the Netherlands, founded in 1614 the university ranks amongst the top 100 universities in the world. We are a research intensive institution offering a wide range of highly regarded bachelor,...
Want to know more about MA Cultural Leadership? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.