BA Religious StudiesUniversity of Groningen
Study your BA in Religious Studies
How do religions come into being? How do they affect people and societies? What role does religion play in various cultures and conflicts?
Most cultures are profoundly shaped by religious phenomena. Of the seven billion people on Earth, six billion call themselves religious. Religion does not occur in isolation; it connects with people's daily behaviour, economically, politically, socially, and psychologically. Wherever there are people, there is religion, always and everywhere.
Religion is one of the forces driving humankind, which is why knowledge of religion is so important. The central question you will learn to ask yourself is not to what extent religions are 'true', but how religion affects people's lives and what people do with it. The interaction between religion, culture, and society is the main focus of this bachelor's programme.
In this Bachelor's programme, you will:
- Deepen your knowledge of various aspects of the major religions in the world (Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity and Judaism)
- Use different perspectives to analyse religious expressions – texts, rituals and visual art – and place them in their cultural context
- Gain knowledge on concepts underpinning and shaping the relationship between religion and politics from ancient times through to the present day
- Best BA Religious Studies programme in The Netherlands
- Top 100 university
- Interdisciplinary programme, taught entirely in English
- Staff is internationally recognized for high quality of research
- International staff and international classroom
- Small classes with intensive supervision
- Programme relates latest research and theories to current developments
- Located in historic building in the city centre of Groningen
- Groningen is a vibrant yet safe place to live
If you complete a follow-on Master's degree after your Bachelor's degree, you increase your chances on the job market. If you choose to pursue a Master's programme at the university, you will do a placement at an organization, institute or company that is involved in religion and culture.
- Care (Spiritual carer at a care institution, independent therapist)
- Policy & Management (policy officer / advisor with a government institution, cultural institution or political party, staff member/advisor for an aid organization, embassy staff, security advisor to the military, etc.)
- Education (religious studies teacher in secondary school, education officer)
- Academia (researcher at a university or research institute.)
- Church (minister or pastoral worker)
- Media (journalist, editor)
In addition, a significant number of our graduates are self-employed in one of these sectors.
Students wishing to study the BA Religious Studies at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands should meet the following requirements:
- Dutch VWO diploma, a German Abitur, an International Baccalaureate diploma, a European Baccalaureate or another diploma that is sufficient for acceptance to a Dutch university
- Language requirements: IELTS: 6.0 (6.0 on each part); TOEFL iBT 60 (minimum 18 speaking, 21 writing) (not for native speakers)
- Application deadline (without scholarship request): 1 May
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- EU/EEA 2019-2020: € 2,083
- non-EU/EEA 2019-2020: € 8,900
About this institute
The University of Groningen is one of the oldest universities in the Netherlands, founded in 1614 the university ranks amongst the top 100 universities in the world. We are a research intensive institution offering a wide range of highly regarded bachelor,...
Want to know more about BA Religious Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.