The Bachelor of Arts in American Studies at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands provides students with an interdisciplinary education in which students understand and experience the dynamics of American culture.
Groningen's three-year Bachelor of Arts in American Studies provides undergraduates with an integral study of American culture and society in all its diversity, both past and present. In this way, students acquire a broad familiarity with the dynamics of cultural experience and the meanings of "America" over time.
The University of Groningen is the only university in The Netherlands to offer a Bachelor degree in American Studies. All education courses were designed and developed specifically for American Studies, resulting in a programme that is transparent, coherent and exciting.
What distinguishes Groningen's American Studies bachelor from all other similar programmes is its interdisciplinary nature: rather than approaching the field from one or two perspectives, traditionally history and literature, in Groningen students explore "America" from the perspectives of its popular culture, history, language, literature, constitution, ethnicity and religion, drawing on and interrelating a range of disciplinary models.
Students enrolled in this American Studies education programme have career opportunities in fields such:
- International Business
Admission requirements for to University of Groningen for students with a Dutch diploma:
- Any Dutch VWO diploma. Additional requirement: A good command of English.
- A HBO propaedeutic certificate. Additional requirement: A good command of English. Students with a HBO-diploma may in certain cases be eligible for exemptions that enable them to complete the Bachelor within a reduced time frame.
- Colloquium doctum (university entrance examination): An alternative open to students who are 21 years or older and do not meet the other requirements
Admission requirements for to University of Groningen for students with a non-Dutch diploma
- In principle, students from the European Economic Area (EEA) who qualify for university training in their own country will also be accepted in our programme. Diploma’s from non-EU countries will be evaluated individually.
- Non-EEA students: language requirements: A near native level of English proficiency is required
*The TOEFL institutional code is: 9077
For more detailed information about admission requirements fill out an Information Request form.
Scholarships are available to students at University of Groningen based on academic, country of origin, selection of programme, and more.
Tuition costs for the American Studies :
- EU students €2,083/year
- Non- EU students €8,900/ year
For more information about tuition and scholarships to see if you qualify, fill out an Information Request form.
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies
The University of Groningen is one of the oldest universities in the Netherlands, founded in 1614 the university ranks amongst the top 100 universities in the world. We are a research intensive institution offering a wide range of highly regarded bachelor,...
Want to know more about BA American Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!