BA IllustrationUniversity of Europe for Applied Sciences
All available course dates
About this program
The Illustration program at the University of Applied Sciences Europe combines the classical arts such as painting, drawing and printmaking with the fascination of contemporary design using modern, digital techniques. Illustrations visualize complex content in newspapers, magazines, infographics, advertisements, posters, websites and apps. They tell stories in picture books and comics and create entire films or virtual worlds in storyboards and concept arts.
Due to the development of digital media, working methods, requirements, technical workflows and application spectra are also subject to constant change. Nevertheless, the art of drawing is indispensable as the basis of craftsmanship and as an elementary cultural technique for communication and idea generation. To illustrate means to invent images, to develop one's own visual language, to experiment, to think and work visually. But it also means translating texts into graphic ideas, researching a wide variety of topics, finding adequate solutions - and always remaining curious.
In the Illustration bachelor's program at our university, you will learn exclusively from renowned lecturers from the creative industry and you can use the professional equipment of the University of Applied Sciences Europe for analogue and digital techniques for your study projects. The focus of our teaching is on your individual development in small learning groups and a friendly, familiar and creative atmosphere. Through our interdisciplinary selection of subjects, a variety of practice-oriented projects, and a semester abroad or internships, you can actively influence your studies and career path.
- EURO 3.000 (EURO three thousand) This reservation fee will be deducted from the total amount of study fees. (Not applicable for EU applicants)
- Official translation to English or German for those documents in different language.
- German taught programmes needs both English / German language certificate
- Minimum English language level is B1
Please note: All documents in a different language require an official translation to English or German.
1. Application form
2. High school / bachelor diploma and transcripts (Or equivalent occupational diploma officially translated to English or German.)
3. Language Proficiency* (or request to waive**)
5. Copy of Passport
6. Letter of motivation
7. Non-EU applicants only: €3,000 deposit (This reservation fee will be deducted from the total amount of study fees)
Portfolio Requirements: 15 samples of work - in addition to illustrations and drawings, a sketchbook and other projects thatdemonstrate interest in the subject area are also welcome. We also like to see themed series and conceptsketches.
Please note: German taught programmes needs both English / German language certificate
• IELTS 5.5 overall
• TOEFL iBT72
• TOEFL ITP (paper based) 543
• Pearson Test of English (Academic) 59
• Pearson Test of English (General) Level 1
• Cambridge English Advanced and Proficiency 160 overall
• Cambridge Exam First (FCE)
• TOEIC Listening/Reading 785, Speaking 160, Writing 150
• PASSWORD 5.5 (no less than 5.0 in each component)
• EF SET (50-minute Test) 51 (only for students applying with an MOI letter)
• Duolingo 90
• To request a language test waiver, you must have studied in a country where the official first language is English:
• At least nine months in duration
• Undertaken at a recognised institution where teaching and assessment throughout the course is entirely in English
• Has been completed within 2 years of the start date of the course to which you are applying
• Medium of Instruction (MOI) should indicate English + EF SET or any accepted English proficiency certificate requested.
Include up to 10 visual or interactive projects (with accompanying image series, sketches and/or other visual/textual material). These should be original work that highlights a range of your abilities and interests. This might include illustrations, graphic novel spread, poster series, games, character development, photo essays, collages, paintings, sculptures, marketing or social campaigns, short films, animations, applications or websites, personal creative projects, as well as text-based conceptual projects. We are also interested in seeing excerpts from sketchbooks, contact sheets, and research development where applicable. All work should be accompanied by a short text reflecting on the project or work. The portfolio should be collected in a PDF format, and sent through WeTransfer or uploaded onto a website. Large sculptural projects, 3D objects, and performances can be presented digitally. Include any media links or social media channels that are relevant. Interactive projects or games should be uploaded as Windows-executables or as an online playable link.
- IELTS 5.5 overall (no less than 5.0 each components)
- TOEFL IBT 72
- TOEFL ITP 500 - 547 (290-300 listening, 280-300 language form, 280-300 reading)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 59
- Pearson Test of English (General) Level 3
- Cambridge Exam Advanced and Proficiency 162 overall
- Cambridge Exam First (FCE) Grade C
- TOEIC Listening/Reading 785, Speaking 160, Writing 150
- PASSWORD 5.5 (no less than 5.0 in each component)
To request a language test waiver, you must have studied in a country where the official first language is English:
- At least nine months in duration
- Taken at a recognised institution where teaching and assessment throughout the course is entirely in English
- Has been completed within 2 years of the start date of the course to which you are applying
- Medium of Instruction (MOI) should indicate English + EF SET or any accepted English proficiency certificate requested
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- For EU applicants: 708 € monthly
- For Non-EU applicants: 12,100 € yearly
Message the school
About this institute
University of Europe for Applied Sciences
The University of Europe for Applied Sciences (UE) educates tomorrow's designers and decision-makers in the areas of business, sports, media & event, and art & design. Our students become part of an innovative and international network, representing more than 100...
Why study at University of Europe for Applied Sciences
Are you not able to come to our campus yet? Start your studies online or on campus with the UE hybrid learning concept.
Gain practical experience and certificates next to your studies through our acceleration courses by our UE partner companies such as IBM, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Facebook, Tableau and HubSpot.
Top Ranked German University
We are proud to be among the top 10 private universities for Business Studies as well as among the Top 20 for creative studies.
Want to know more about BA Illustration? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!