About this program
MA Creative Writing
Our challenging, practice-based course offers you a unique approach to the practice of writing, emphasising innovation and experimentation in your work.
On our MA Creative Writing, you deepen your knowledge of literary tradition, exploring different modes and genres in order to develop your own creative and expressive written skills. You expand your use of creative writing techniques and improve your critical judgement of your own work.
Our course encourages you to develop your writing by stepping outside your comfort zone and discovering the different approaches to verbal art that are possible today. This will invigorate your own practice, whether you are writing psychogeography, plays, novels, stories or something else. You will choose from a variety of modules, covering topics such as:
- Development of a novel plan, from research and concept-development, to plotting, character, and structure
- Experimental language play of the Oulipo group across the short story, autobiography, cartoons, cookery and theatre
- Psychogeography, writing about walking, place, landscape, history and the psychic environment
- Poetic practice across experimental writing in poetry from the performative to the visual
This course is also available on a part-time basis.
UK entry requirements
A 2.2 degree in Creative Writing, Theatre/Drama Studies, Literature, Media Studies, Art History, Music, Philosophy, History, Performing Arts, Journalism, Politics and Sociology.
You may be asked to provide a piece of creative writing if you do not hold a degree in a relevant field.
International & EU entry requirements
We accept a wide range of qualifications from applicants studying in the EU and other countries. Get in touch with any questions you may have about the qualifications we accept. Remember to tell us about the qualifications you have already completed or are currently taking.
English language requirements
IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum component score of 5.5 except for 6.5 in writing
For more information about admission requirements, please contact the school or the enquiries team.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Research for Creative Practice
- Creative Writing Workshop
- Writing the Novel
- Memory Maps: Practices in Psychogeography
- Dramatic Structure
- The New Nature Writing
- The Modern City: From Modernism to Postmodernism
- Applied Theatre Making: Writing in the Community
- Writing, Poetry, Performance
- Writing Audio and Digital Drama
- Screenwriting Workshop
- Oulipian Practice
- Research Methods in Literary and Cultural Analysis
- Literature and the First World War
- Crossing the Boundaries: Literature and Translation in a Global Context
- Law and Literature
- Queer: History, Literature, Politics
Tuition fee for the academic year 2020-21
- Home/UK fee: £8,760
- International fee: £18,800
We also offer supervision for PhD, MPhil and MA by Dissertation in different literatures and various approaches to literature, covering most aspects of early modern and modern writing in English, plus a number of other languages.
Many of our students have gone on to successfully publish their work, notable recent alumni including:
- Ida Løkås, who won a literary prize in Norway for The Beauty That Flows Past, securing a book deal
- Alexia Casale, whose novel Bone Dragon was published by Faber & Faber and subsequently featured on both the Young Adult Books of the Year 2013 list for The Financial Times, and The Independent’s Books of the year 2013: Children
- Elaine Ewart, graduate from our MA Wild Writing and PhD Creative Writing courses, placed second in the New Welsh Writing Awards 2015
- Patricia Borlenghi, the founder of Patrician Press, which has published works by a number of our alumni
- Petra McQueen, who has written for The Guardian and runs creative writing courses and is studying PhD Creative Writing in the Department
About this institute
University of Essex
We’re a university where curiosity prevails, and where exploring new ways of thinking and pushing boundaries, isn’t just encouraged, it’s expected. We’re proud to be Gold rated in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017 and ranked in the top 30 in...
University of Essex
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...