Art and Design (Professional Doctorate) DProfUniversity of Dundee
About this program
Art and Design (Professional Doctorate) DProf
The major challenges confronting society are complex and interdisciplinary, and current solutions to today’s and tomorrow’s intractable problems are not working. This complexity requires a different type of professional; one who is equipped to work in a very different and collaborative way to find new solutions.
Our Professional Doctorate programme will help you to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes required to fulfil this role.
We are bringing together academic experts from across the University to provide you with interdisciplinary learning, teaching and research, thereby enabling you to transcend boundaries and lead applied research that will help you transform lives and tackle complex challenges in unique ways.
You apply for a specific award, but you will be part of the overall community of Professional Doctorate students across the University You will participate in shared modules, but will benefit from supervisors who are experts in your chosen discipline area.
You will be encouraged to:
- demonstrate critical insight into personal and professional identities
- engage critically with a range of research paradigms, theories and methodologies
- evaluate in-depth theory relating to leadership and change, applying this to different professional and interdisciplinary contexts
- utilise in-depth knowledge and skills in your discipline, to offer evidence-based solutions that are relevant and transferable across different contexts
- deploy design-led approaches to develop innovative solutions to complex professional challenges
- engage critically with a broad range of digital technologies, demonstrating knowledge and skills around access and utility
- apply advanced research knowledge and skills to influence policy, strategy, and leadership
- demonstrate confidence and expertise, in working with teams, to effectively evaluate and manage complex situations
Upper second class Honours degree or Masters degree or equivalent, plus 5 years professional practice experience
English language requirements
- Overall -7.0
- Reading - 7.0
- Listening - 7.0
- Speaking - 7.0
- Writing -7.0
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Chat with students
These modules are an essential part of your course
- Leadership in Professional Practice
- Professional Identities in a Changing World
- Research Methodologies for Interdisciplinarity
- Applied Research Methods as Strategic Tools
- Transforming Lives Through Innovation
- Critical Review of Literature and Practice
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Scotland: £4,596 per year study
- England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland: £ 4,596 per year study
- International: £10,500 per year study
A Professional Doctorate will enhance your professional development and enable you to progress as a ‘researching professional’ within your own setting and beyond.
To achieve this, principles of professional learning are integrated throughout the learning and teaching, including:
- a strong emphasis on reflective practice throughout the programme.
- opportunities to situate learning within contexts that are familiar to you and actively facilitating you to explore interdisciplinary practice in a broader range of disciplines and contexts.
- an option for workplace ‘consultancy’ experience that combines research skills with practice-based interventions.
- teaching and learning that actively includes working as a group to address issues and challenges in interdisciplinary ways, using this as a vehicle for deeper learning and understanding.
- opportunities to network locally, nationally and internationally
While you will graduate with a unique range of attributes, fundamentally, this programme aims to create a community of scholars who display ‘doctoral characteristics’ – that is, the qualities and skills associated with doctoral graduates. It is also about preparing you for working in a post-digital world, where 21stcentury qualities, such as being value-based, reflective and transdisciplinary, are an expectation of professionals.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Dundee
Going to university is an exciting and life-changing experience, and we want to let you know why you should look no further than the University of Dundee in Scotland when deciding where to continue your education. The University of Dundee...
University of Dundee
Want to know more about Art and Design (Professional Doctorate) DProf? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!