About this program
MA Music Therapy
If you would like to register and go into practice as a music therapist, this inspirational new masters course is the ideal route to success.
- Achieve your ambitions on the only course of its kind in the Midlands and North of England
- Choose an innovative masters degree which places music and musicianship at the heart of your learning and focuses on an integrative approach to practice
- Integrate theory with practical experience: you’ll spend a significant amount of your time on placement
- Learn from our experienced and enthusiastic tutors who continue to practise professionally as music therapists
- Broaden your perspectives through inter-professional learning with other arts therapists
- Benefit from our flexible and convenient study modes so that you can balance your learning with your other commitments
- Join a department with a longstanding reputation for high-quality training in therapeutic arts
Chat live with students from University of Derby
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Derby? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Applicants for the program must hold a first degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject, or have significant relevant experience or equivalent qualifications.
- They will also need to demonstrate sufficient experience of working in a setting which addresses the needs of individuals with, for example, emotional or mental distress, specific learning needs or developmental difficulties.
- Additionally, they will need to demonstrate appropriate musical ability and skills in musicianship, together with the emotional robustness and intellectual capacity to cope with the demands of the program.
- All prospective candidates who meet the basic entry criteria will attend a selection day to assess their suitability for the program and their preparedness for the intensive nature of the training.
- If your first language is not English, you'll need to have achieved an IELTS of at least 6.5 or equivalent with no element below 6.0, as stipulated by the HCPC.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Music and Musicianship in Practice
- Music Therapy Clinical Placement 1
- Arts Therapies Theory and Research in Relation to Practice 1
- Music Therapy Experiential Group 1
- Arts Therapies Theory and Research in Relation to Practice 2
- Music Therapy Clinical Placement 2
- Music Therapy Experiential Group 2
- Arts Therapies Independent Scholarship: A Body of Work
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
How you will learn
You will engage in practical/experiential group learning, lectures, seminars and personal tutorials. Practical application is integrated with the theory you need to understand and develop your practice.
Music practice and performance, musicality and improvisation will be central to your learning and development throughout the program. The theoretical content of the course will largely be delivered face to face, with some use of blended learning where appropriate.
- UK - £950 per 20 credits
- International - £14,700 for the full course
Music therapy is a rapidly evolving discipline and profession. Music making and shared musical experiences are increasingly recognised as valid ways of helping people to address social, emotional or physical difficulties.
Our new MA reflects the growing profile and status of the profession, enabling you to register and practise as a music therapist. It paves the way to rewarding careers in a wide range of health, social care and community settings. It could also give you a firm foundation if you would like to work on a self-employed or freelance basis.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Derby
The University of Derby is a Top 50 University located in the heart of England, offering a broad range of courses at the foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Get your career off to a great start with real-world learning, focussing...
Want to know more about MA Music Therapy? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!