MA DramatherapyUniversity of Derby
About this program
- Study a Masters course approved by the Health and Care Professions Council
- Graduate successfully and you’ll be eligible to apply to the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) to become a registered arts therapist (dramatherapist), as long as you meet the HCPC’s requirements. This is a legal requirement for those wishing to work as a dramatherapist in the UK
- Enhance your knowledge of theatre in the therapeutic process, and explore the role of improvisation and the need to adapt therapeutic interventions to individual and group needs
- You’ll conduct a major piece of independently researched work in an area of personal interest
- Further your understanding of psychological processes and have the opportunity to develop your own therapeutic approach
Chat live with students from University of Derby
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Derby? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- A relevant undergraduate degree such as BA (Hons) Drama, BA (Hons) Theatre Arts, BA (Hons) Creative Expressive Arts, Health and Wellbeing. Or you might hold an undergraduate degree or training in other areas such as psychology, occupational therapy, social work, nursing and have current evidence of theatre experience.
- You'll usually need one year's full time (or equivalent) relevant work experience in a health and social care environment. This can be paid or voluntary and can include areas such as mental health, learning disabilities, older people, children who have experienced trauma, physical disabilities or working with asylum seekers. The more experience you have, the more prepared you'll be for the course.
- You must demonstrate sufficient life experience and emotional maturity to cope with the demands of the course as the training and personal therapy processes can be emotionally challenging.
- If your first language is not English, you'll need to have achieved an IELTS of at least 6.5 or equivalent with no element below 6.0, as stipulated by the HCPC.
A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is required at the point of accepting a place at the University. The Disclosure and Barring Service was established when the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) merged in 2012 and will now provide the criminal records checking service for this program.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Dramatherapy Studio Practice
- Art Therapies Theory and Research in Relation to Practice One
- Dramatherapy Clinical Placement One
- Dramatherapy Experiential Group
- Art Therapies Theory and Research in Relation to Practice Two
- Dramatherapy Clinical Placement Two
- Arts Therapies Independent Scholarship: A Body of Work
- Personal Therapy
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
How you will learn
Real world learning is incorporated into the program with the inclusion of two clinical placement modules where you will be invited to develop your dramatherapy practice with both individuals and groups. Currently, the program regularly hosts international guest lecturers.
- UK - £950 per 20 credits
- International - £14,700 for the full course
When you have successfully completed all elements of the course you are eligible to apply to be registered as a Dramatherapist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), as long as you meet the HCPC’s requirements. You could be employed in areas such as schools, prisons, hospitals, day centres, hospices, private health organisations, therapeutic communities. With further experience, you could work freelance.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Derby
The University of Derby is a Top 50 University located in the heart of England, offering a broad range of courses at the foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Get your career off to a great start with real-world learning, focussing...
University of Derby
Want to know more about MA Dramatherapy? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!