About this program
MA Dance and Choreography
This postgraduate course in Dance and Choreography is a fantastic opportunity for Dance Artists to further their practice and be at the forefront of sector development. The MA is designed to guide and nurture those with a keen interest and skill in choreographing, providing a space in which you can push your creative boundaries and generate new and innovative work. Artists will have the opportunity to tap into regional, national and international networks and have access to an exceptional body of infrastructure and resources. Key areas that will be covered include:
- Narrative Development and Dramaturgy – the outside eye
- Role/involvement of the audience in a work (the fourth wall and when/how/what happens when you break it)
- The unique challenges of making work for indoor and outdoor contexts
- Funding landscape and opportunities
- Partnerships – who to develop them with and how to establish them
- Developing commissions
- Basics of health and safety in relation to the field (safe working practices/risk assessments/rigging)
Chat live with students from University of Derby
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Derby? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Applicants should normally hold a first degree of dance.
- Equivalent experience and achievement will be taken into account for applicants with less formal qualifications. Evidence of equivalence of knowledge, understanding and skills appropriate to a first degree are required.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is used both to provide evidence of equivalence for entry and as evidence of advanced standing for entry. Applicants can be awarded up to a maximum of 80 RPL credits on proof of articulation with the program content.
- Where English is not the first language for international applicants, applicants need to provide a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent. Students, especially those who enter with this minimum score, are encouraged to engage with additional study in order to develop their knowledge and application of academic English.
- All applicants will be asked to attend an interview with members of the program Team which may involve a practical element. The purpose of the interview is to gain a fuller understanding of your particular research interest and reasons for wanting to enrol on the program, as well as making sure we will be able to support you fully.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Choreography 1
- Advanced Research Methods
- Choreography 2
- Artist as Entrepreneur
- Major Project: Dissertation OR Performance Piece
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
How you will learn
You will learn in the working environment of Déda, a sector leading organisation for dance and choreography based in Derby city centre. You will learn through creative lab sessions in our dance studios, where you will be able to try out new ideas on your peers, yourselves and others that you choose to work with.
You will be supported by the MA program Leader, as well as specialist guest lecturers from the dance sector, including specifically those working with choreography and generating funded performances.
You will be able to create work that will be professionally presented by Déda’s Technical Stage Management Team in the Déda Theatre or at an alternative venue/location as required. This unique opportunity will enable you to work in a professional capacity, providing knowledge and connections for producing work after your MA.
- UK - £7,200 for the full course or £800 per 20 credits*
- International - £14,700 for the full course
Students who complete this program will be able to produce their own work and have a wider network to allow themselves to further their work as choreographers and dancers.
You will be pioneers in this field and it is therefore anticipated that you will either have your own companies or undertake commissions for work from other parties.
Aside from generating your own work, you will also have the ability to be Creative Directors, Movement Directors and have the chance to produce papers discussing your specific area of choreography.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Derby
Here at the University of Derby we believe anything is possible. With a broad range of courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level, we can help you get your career off to a great start. We know how important it...
Want to know more about MA Dance and Choreography? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...