BSc (Hons) Biomedical ScienceUniversity of Derby
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
All available course dates
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
The course focuses on developing your practical laboratory skills, so you'll gain first-hand experience of lab work from year one
You'll also spend time honing your interpersonal skills and general employability, so you can move on to a diverse range of careers in clinical and public health laboratories, industry and research settings
We are currently seeking accreditation for this course from the Institute of Biomedical Science. Upon successful accreditation, the degree will fast-track your journey towards registration as a biomedical scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council
All of our teaching team are active researchers as well as teachers, so they will be able to share some of the latest findings and innovative thinking from the human health field
This is a progressive, challenging course which focuses on the latest advances in medical research aimed at preventing ill health and prolonging life. The devastating COVID-19 pandemic has increased demand for skills in this area, so this degree is highly relevant right now and you can expect to have strong career prospects.
Chat live with students from University of Derby
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Derby? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- UCAS points:120
- Specific requirements at A-level: At least a grade C or above in either chemistry, human biology or biology
- Specific requirements at GCSE: At least five GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths and English at grade 4/C or above
- IELTS: 6.0 (with at least 5.5 in each skills area)
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - DDM
- Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 with a minimum of Distinction: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6. Must include passes in compulsory Level 3 subjects
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Biomedical Sciences
- Chemistry of Life
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Concepts of Human Health and Wellbeing
- Clinical Genetics
- Practical Methods in Medical Biosciences
- Professional Practice in Biomedical Science
- Basic Microbiology
- Clinical Immunology
- Diagnostic Molecular Biology
- The Cell
- Haematology and transfusion science
- Research Project
- Cell Signalling in Health and Disease
- Medical Microbiology
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Cellular Pathology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
How you will learn
We use a good variety of teaching methods including:
- Lectures, tutorials, workshops and seminars, which are interactive — these are sometimes led by external speakers from the NHS and other medical organisations
- Laboratory sessions to develop your technical skills and ability to design experiments
- Computer sessions to introduce you to the latest software for data analysis, genetic analysis and protein databases
- Private study with online materials to support
- UK students: £9,250 per year
- International / EU students: £14,045 per year
Qualification: BSc (Hons)
After graduating from this course, you could gain graduate entry on to programmes like physician associate studies, medicine or dentistry, or move on to a postgraduate research degree such as an MSc/MRes or PhD. We now offer our MSc Biomedical Health programme, which will provide an in-depth understanding of biomedical regulation of the human body and how this is impacted by disease, and also our MRes Molecular Medicine programme that will help you to develop the key skills you need for a research career.
You will graduate with skills that put you at the forefront of advances in medical health. Biomedical science is key to any healthcare science and allows you to pursue a career in a broad range of fields, such as clinical sciences, pharmaceutical science, and biomedical research. However, thanks to the focus on employability and interpersonal skills within this programme, you won't be limited to a clinical role.
You’ll be well prepared for jobs such as:
- Biomedical Scientist
- Research Scientist
- Medical Professional
- Health Care Specialist
- Pharmaceutical Researcher
- Scientific Writer
- Pharmaceutical Sales Executive
- Clinical Trials Co-ordinator
About this institute
University of Derby
Here at the University of Derby we believe anything is possible. With a broad range of courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level, we can help you get your career off to a great start. We know how important it...
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...