BA (Hons) Sociology
BA (Hons) Sociology
Get straight to the heart of the debate about issues which are shaping our society today. Studying Sociology at Derby is your stepping stone to a richly rewarding career and a future as an actively engaged citizen.
Why choose this course?
- Build your own study pathway to match your career aspirations, focusing on themes like crime and justice, youth cultures, politics and social justice, or security and terrorism – or a combination of these
- Work placement modules and inspirational fieldtrips will boost your employability: studying Sociology opens up exciting career opportunities in many different sectors
- This degree offers fascinating global insights with the chance to spend a semester at Charles University in Prague and to undertake a final-year study trip to Berlin
- We will challenge your thinking about subjects such as race and ethnicity, gender and sexuality, class, the cult of celebrity and the spread of conspiracy theories
- Real-world research projects enable you to translate theory into practice, supported by our enthusiastic and supportive teaching team
- An opportunity to achieve an additional qualification in youth justice
Chat live with students from University of Derby
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Derby? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
UCAS points -112
Specific requirements at A-level - No specific subject requirements
Specific requirements at GCSE - GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/Grade C (or above) or equivalent qualification
IELTS - 6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)
BTEC - DMM
Pass Access to HE Diploma 60 credits - 45 at Level 3 with a minimum of Distinction: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
How you will learn
As a BA (Hons) Sociology student, you’ll learn through:
- multimedia presentations
- online collaboration
- guest lectures
- class debates
We are determined to keep things fresh and interesting, and involve projects that include the close reading of music videos, the design of your own conspiracy theory, the production of wikis and an extended final year piece of research in which you showcase your sociological interest in a topic of your choice.
Fees and funding
£9,250 per year
£1,155 per 20 credit moduleInternational/EU
£14,045 per year
Additional fee informationNo additional fees or cost information has been supplied for this course, please contact the provider directly.
Careers and employability
Because the BA (Hons) Sociology delivers such a broad spectrum of skills and insights, it is no surprise to find our graduates excelling in a wide variety of careers where critical thinking, analytical know-how and research abilities are valued.
Our graduates have used their degree to become teachers, lecturers, social workers, probation officers, civil servants, social researchers, business owners, marketeers, counsellors, charity workers, and community officers – to name but a few roles. They have also found work in retail management, public relations, banking, welfare advice, accountancy and systems analysis.
A growing number of our graduates secure competitively funded places on postgraduate courses too, especially in the fields of social work and teaching.
About this institute
University of Derby
Here at the University of Derby we believe anything is possible. With a broad range of courses at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level, we can help you get your career off to a great start. We know how important it...
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America