BA Hispanic StudiesUniversity of Bristol
BA Hispanic Studies
All available course dates
BA Hispanic Studies
Expertise in modern languages has never been more important as the United Kingdom forges a new relationship with its European partners and seeks to develop its trading and cultural ties throughout the world. The University of Bristol is a thriving and dynamic centre for the study of modern languages and cultures.
With interactive language learning in Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan and a diverse range of units covering history, literature and cinema, Bristol's BA Hispanic Studies will give you a global perspective on the cultures of hundreds of millions of people.
You can combine the study of Spanish with Portuguese, which can be studied from a beginner level, and Catalan from year two. You will divide your third year between a Portuguese-speaking country and Catalonia (for Spanish and Catalan).
Our degree covers many aspects of the history, literature and culture of Portugal, Spain and Latin America. Literary and cultural units enable you to improve your language skills through reading modern representative texts and engaging with films and digital media while giving you a taste of the cultural diversity of the Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan-speaking worlds.
Applicants must meet one of the following
A-level Standard offer
ABBincluding B in Spanish
A-level Contextual offer
BBCincluding B in Spanish
International Baccalaureate Diploma Standard offer
32points overall with 16 at Higher Level, including 5 at Higher Level in Spanish
International Baccalaureate Diploma Contextual offer
29points overall with 14 at Higher Level, including 5 at Higher Level in Spanish
Cambridge Pre-U offer
Requirements for principal subjects are as for A-level, where D1/ D2 is A*, D3 is A, M1/ M2 is B, and M3 is C.
Access to HE Diploma offer
Pass Access to HE Diploma (Humanities) with at least 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit, and demonstrate proven capacity for language learning, usually through B in A Level Spanish.
DDM plus B in Spanish at A-level
Scottish Qualifications Authority offer
Advanced Higher: AB including Spanish, and Standard Higher: AABBB
Welsh Baccalaureate offer
Requirements are as for A-levels, where you can substitute a non-subject specific grade for the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate at that grade.
European Baccalaureate offer
77% overall, with 8.0 in Spanish
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Spanish Language (Post A level)
- Critical Concepts in the Study of the Hispanic World
- Portuguese Language
- Key Moments in Lusophone History and Culture
- The Making of the Hispanic World, from 1492 to the present day
- Portuguese Language - Post A Level
- Comparative Literature: What is it and how can we practise it?
- Spanish Language
- Portuguese Lang for Joints/ML
- Catalan Language (Elementary)
- Republic, War and Dictatorship in Spain, 1931 - 1975
- Women's Writing in Post-War Spain
- Languages of the Iberian Peninsula
- Images of Power in Lusophone Culture
- Woman and Nation
- Year Abroad TB-1
- Year Abroad TB-2
- Spanish Language for Hispanic Studies, School of Modern Languages and Joint Degrees
- Portuguese Language for School of Modern Languages and Joint degrees
- Catalan Language (follow-on)
- Political Comedy, Social Tragedy: Protest and Conflict in Spain, 1875-1923.
- The Theatre of Federico Garcia Lorca
- The Novels of Carmen Laforet
- The Spanish Civil War, 1936 - 1939
- History of Latin America's Indigenous People
- Hispanic Sociolinguistics
- Dictatorships, prisons, and writing(s) in the Portuguese and Spanish-speaking worlds
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
6-7 year(s) part-time
Part-time study over six or seven years with daytime, weekday teaching plus a period of residence abroad
- Full time: UCAS
- Part time: Apply direct to the University
- Home students: £9,250 per year
- EU students: £20,100 per year
- International students: £20,100 per year
- Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year
About this institute
University of Bristol
Bristol is a successful and ambitious university where we offer you the chance to learn from, and with, some of the leading scholars in the world. Here, you will enjoy the benefits of studying in a research-rich environment where we combine a rigorous approach to...
University of Bristol
Want to know more about the programs offered by University of Bristol? Please send your questions directly to the dedicated student agency, OK Student and they'll get back to you promptly.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...