About this program
MSc Stem Cell Biology and Application
Stem cell science, ranging from basic biology to practical application, is a large and diverse subject. A full appreciation of it requires an understanding of cell and molecular biology, tissue structure and physiology, the practicalities of tissue engineering and bioprocessing, the pathways to implementation in medical and veterinary practice and industry, and ethical and regulatory considerations.
The MSc Stem Cell Biology and Application will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of these unique cells, highlighting key areas of research and technologies, and encompassing vertebrate, invertebrate and plant aspects of stem cell biology. Emphasis will be placed on cutting-edge technologies used in stem cell science, such as bioinformatics and gene editing, and on existing or potential stem cell applications, both in medicine and economically relevant animals and plants.
Either a 2:1 undergraduate Honours degree or a postgraduate degree in a biological discipline, eg biomedical science, biological sciences, human biology, plant biology, zoology, biochemistry or medicine (MBChB).
We accept a range of international qualifications - use the dropdown box below to select your country and see the equivalencies to the above UK requirements.
English language requirements
IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band.
If you are made an offer of a place to study and you do not already meet the language requirement, you have the option to enrol on our English for Academic Purposes Presessional Course. If you successfully complete this, you will be able to fulfil the language requirement without needing to take a further qualification.
- IELTS 6.5 with no less that 6.0 in any band
- TOEFL: 88 overall with no less than 21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) including online: PTE Academic 67 with no less than 64 in all four skills
- Cambridge English (exams taken from 2015): Advanced – minimum overall score of 176, with no less than 169 in any component
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The principles of stem cell biology
- Essential methodology in stem cell research
- Pluripotent stem cells and medical application
- Natural regeneration: An evolutionary and practical perspective
- Adult stem cells, and their relevance in medicine and agriculture
- Engineering complex tissues
- Dissertation Project: Gene Editing
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Annual tuition fee for 2022/23:
- UK: £13,100
- International: £26,240
Key relevant skills in these areas include:
- Research methods (cell biology, genetics, omics, bioinformatics, etc)
- Analysis and presentation of research findings
- Working in a clinical environment (research, trials)
- Practicalities and economics of commercial translation
- Regulatory issues (IP/patenting, working with health regulatory bodies)
- Ethical/social/political implications.
You may therefore have the potential for careers with diverse organisations working across modern cell therapy approaches, such as pharmaceutical companies, the biopharma cell therapy space, agriculture and veterinary science.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Birmingham
A member of the Russell Group and world ‘top 100’ university (QS World Rankings 2017), the University of Birmingham offers three career-focused 100% online postgraduate degrees which will set you on a path to career excellence: Online MBA Online MSc...
Want to know more about MSc Stem Cell Biology and Application? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!