Understanding Contemporary Art Online Short CourseUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
Understanding Contemporary Art Online Short Course
Our current art era is dynamic and eclectic. It can be hard to place within a conceptual framework, but developing knowledge and appreciation of contemporary art can be very rewarding for artists, art lovers, collectors, or curators seeking inspiration.
This short and focused course will survey the contemporary art world, and trace a history of contemporary art which will help you make sense of its increasingly challenging and innovative works.
We will study works from seminal figures such as Allan Kaprow, Joseph Beuys, the E.A.T Group, the Guerilla Girls, Mierle Ukeles, the YBAs, Olia Lialina and more, and through their work we will examine the themes that run through contemporary art. By the end of the course you will have a firm foundation from which to navigate the art world of today.
This course is ideal for aspiring curators or collectors of contemporary art, people with a passion for art, arts industry professionals looking to focus on contemporary art, and journalists or writers new to contemporary works.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- What is contemporary art?
- What reference does contemporary art make to the past?
- Art history and historical analysis
- Artwork analysis
- Contextual research
- Explanation and interpretation
- Performance art
- Conceptual art
- Consumer culture and art
- Abstract expressionism
- Pop art
- Art and the dawn of the internet
- Global contemporary art
- Rise of the art market
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Course price: £380.00
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about Understanding Contemporary Art Online Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!