About this program
The Photography Short Course
Do you have the basics in photography but really feel you would like to get to grips with some of the technical and aesthetic issues of the medium? This intense two-week course will offer a range of projects for you to explore both on and off site, and includes optional visits to exhibitions.
During the first week of the course you will focus on getting the fundamentals right; there will be technical sessions on the use of film and digital SLRs, as well as larger format cameras, in order to develop an awareness of the essential principles, techniques and picture making skills applicable to both digital and traditional media. Each workshop will be supplemented by a slideshow lecture on historical and contemporary artwork that explore a range of creative approaches, and form the basis for the various assignments and accompanying feedback that will help foster a greater critical awareness.
During the second week of the course you will be encouraged to develop your own ideas and experiment further by using the studio, B&W darkroom or digital facilities. This will include a portrait shoot in the studio and an introduction to traditional and alternative printing processes, such as liquid emulsion and pinhole cameras. Finally, the course concludes with an informal review of everyone's work that offers you the chance to get some valuable feedback and think about how you might progress.
Chat with students
- Controlling exposure
- Lighting on location
- Composition and creative camera control
- Film development and B&W printing
- Studio lighting and portraiture
- Digital editing workflow and ink-jet printing
- Alternative print processes
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Course price: £1220.00
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
Want to know more about The Photography Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!