Shoe Making Sneakers Short CourseUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
Shoe Making Sneakers Short Course
On this course you will cover all aspects of design and making a pair of casual sneakers. You will create your own design and draw onto the last a men’s or women’s casual sneaker. You will develop your new pattern techniques, and select your own upper materials which will take you into clicking/closing. Under the guidance of your tutor you will design and construct your own unit/sole with existing materials.
You will begin by discussing your design ideas and then sketching your sneaker design onto the last and making your pattern.
You will be guided through the different types of leather suitable for your design before moving onto the making process. The tutor will demonstrate the skills needed to identify the different upper materials and hand cutting techniques involved. You will also be shown different types of edge treatments.
Based at our Golden Lane site, you’ll have access to the full range of industrial machines used in the making process such as the skiving machine, as well as the different types of sewing machines used for stitching leather. You’ll learn how to click (cut your leather by hand) and how to prepare and fit the many components involved such as the linings, insoles, stiffeners and sole units.
Chat with students
- Materials & leathers and appropriateness of selection
- Explanation of specialist equipment and machinery and treatments which may be achieved
- Basic understanding of terminology and foot anatomy
- Drawing onto the last
- Last taping
- Making an inside and outside/ mean form and design standard
- Pattern cutting
- Closing (stitching the upper)
- Preparing the insole
- Lasting (shaping the leather)
- Attaching the sole unit
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Course price: £890.00
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about Shoe Making Sneakers Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!