MA PuppetryUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
Working with other students you will design, devise, create and interrogate puppetry. Through research and experimental projects, you will build upon and push current practices.
As an applicant to this course, it is expected that you will have:
- a good understanding of the complexities of puppetry as a practice
- an awareness of the global reach of this performance tradition
- knowledge of both live and recorded uses of puppetry within the entertainment industry.
MA Puppetry sits within a wider portfolio of making and designing courses. Aligned with Wimbledon's expansion into screen, visual effects (VFX) and other augmented reality design, this MA course supports any applied or interdisciplinary applications for the art of puppetry. It also engages with some established traditions of this genre of performance-making.
At Wimbledon, engaging with vocational expertise is central to the development of techniques. You will learn key skills to create work to industry standard.
By the end of the course, you will have developed a professional portfolio. This will communicate your capabilities. It will show flexible and proactive approaches to employment that the field requires. It will also aid progression into further artistic research.
The standard minimum entry requirements for this course are:
- BA (Hons) degree in either art and design or performance disciplines, including social and other sciences or engineering
- Alternative qualifications and experience will also be taken into consideration
- Personal statement
- Portfolio of work
Entry to this course will also be determined by the quality of your application, looking primarily at your portfolio of work and personal statement.
English language requirements
All classes are taught in English. If English isn't your first language you must provide evidence at enrolment of the following:
IELTS level 6.5 or above, with at least 5.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking
For more information please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Unit 1 - Methods
- Unit 2 - Practice
- Unit 3 - Collaboration
- Unit 4 - Realisation
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
MA Puppetry is offered in full-time mode and runs for 45 weeks over 15 months, with a break over the summer. You will be expected to commit an average of 40 hours per week to your course, including teaching hours and independent study.
- Tuition fees for Home students are £12,700
- Tuition fees for International students are £25,970
This fee is correct for 2023/24 entry and is subject to change for 2024/25 entry.
Tuition fees may increase in future years for new and continuing students on courses lasting more than one year. For this course, you can pay tuition fees in instalments.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about MA Puppetry? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!