About this program
Graphic Design for Beginners Online Short Course
This short online graphic design course gives you an intensive and practical introduction to 20 key graphic design principles.
Each week you will gain experience applying these principles, by completing practical and realistic projects. Through this project work you will become familiar with techniques for working with images and fonts, designing layouts, and crafting logos and visual identities. The four projects can be tailored to your needs and can be related to current professional projects if required.
The course is also suitable for those wishing to discover and practice the fundamental principles of communication via the combination of text and image, perhaps as a first step into a new area of study, or simply to exercise an enquiring mind in a two-dimensional arena. The course does not cover the use of graphic design software, but you are welcome to complete projects using any software you wish, or none, as all projects can be completed working with hand tools (pens, pencils, paper, scissors, glue etc.).
This course is designed for individuals interested in exploring the endless possibilities of how words and images interact. Perfect for small business owners, creative individuals working in a corporate world and those keen to craft a graphic identity online. This is an opportunity to expand your portfolio and become familiar with the 20 key graphic design principles. Each of the four projects can be tailored to your needs and could be used for professional endeavours if you wish. Perfect for those wishing to study the subject at a high level or for those who eager to widen their skills and exercise an enquiring mind.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Layout design
- Kerning, tracking, and leading
- Working with images
- Scale, spacing, and positioning
- Using grids to enhance your work
- Logo design
- Exploring the notion of the ‘graphic idea’
- Communicating words and feelings through images
- Fusing physical and digital processes
- Found objects: creating an overlay
- Scale, spacing, and positioning
- Visual hierarchies, integrating each element and the role of white space
- Pastiche, appropriation and creating visual puns
- Decoding / constituting typefaces and designing typography
- Executing the double-page spread
- The visual relationship between words and images
- Experimenting with kerning, tracking, leading and bleed
- Exploring symmetry, consistency, and colour
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
Course price: £380.00
By the end of the course you will have;
- Attained an understanding of what graphic design is and what graphic designers do
- Become familiar with technical graphics terminology
- Studied techniques that can be applied to each graphic specialism
- Completed a diverse range of exercises designed to strengthen your visual skills
- Have a clear understanding of how graphic design is used to communicate ideas
- Gained knowledge of typefaces and fonts prior to designing your own typography
- Learned how magazine layouts are formed and devised your own with creative freedom
- Discovered what makes an effective logo and created several of your own
- Had your worked reviewed weekly by the tutor and received personalised feedback
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
Want to know more about Graphic Design for Beginners Online Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!