About this program
Furniture Design Beginners Summer School Short Course
This is an intensive 3 week complete Design Theory and making Furniture Design course in the Studio and Workshops at Central Saint Martins. From the taught Design Process, shared knowledge, insights, and teaching skills you will learn conceptual and practical, problem solving and making skills, using different materials and processes to develop your own unique furniture. On this course you will learn how to establish a solid foundation for your project, pin down a client brief, develop your inspiration and ideas in 2D sketching and 3D sketch modelmaking, learn about materials, craft, sustainability and production processes. You will also learn to work in scale, learn the technical aspects of furniture design including developing your design with 1:1 testing and user experimentation where possible.
The course will also give you a comprehensive overview of current industry professional furniture design practice, taught by an established and practicing Furniture Design expert. You will gain useful insights into some practical aspects of design such as batch production, costings, technical restraint, standards, environmental impact and ergonomics. Plus, you will be able to make extensive use of Central Saint Martins' workshops with the support of specialist skilled technicians.
- Those with an interest in furniture design who wish to explore the subject for the first time.
- Graduate and practicing designers wishing to focus on this area in more depth.
- Students wishing to start building a portfolio for future study in product design.
This course offers you a complete and perfect balance between design theory, conceptualisation and practical skills that will transform your ideas and concepts into three dimensional reality.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- originating new ideas and developing concepts in 2D and 3D
- model making, drawing and sketching
- experimenting with wood, wire, metal and plastics
- creating mock ups
- testing your ideas in scale and 1:1
- producing scaled models
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Course price: £2040.00
A Certificate of Completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a Certificate of Attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
Want to know more about Furniture Design Beginners Summer School Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!