About this program
Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design at Central Saint Martins is an intensive one-year pre-degree course designed to prepare students for specialist undergraduate degrees in art and design. For many students it offers the ideal bridge from a school education to the demands of specialist undergraduate study in the creative arts.
Foundation is often students’ first experience of an art school environment. It is a year of exciting projects, new peers and experiences that will inform your future study, career and creative life. Foundation is widely considered the best preparation for progression to higher education in the creative arts in the UK and we take pride in our dynamic course that supports you to fulfil your creative potential and ambitions. Many of UAL and Central Saint Martin’s most celebrated alumni of the last few years have progressed from this course.
The Foundation course at Central saint Martins is based at the Archway campus in north London. This is where all studio teaching sessions, technical workshop access and additional study support sessions are delivered. Students work in 12 specialist studios to develop their ideas, work collaboratively and take part in lively group teaching sessions. The Archway campus includes a dedicated digital suite as well as wood, metal, plastic, plaster, stitch and printmaking workshops, each supported by specialist technicians. Twenty-five minutes away, at the King's Cross campus, Foundation students access the library, learning zones, loan store, Student Centre, lecture theatres, digital print facilities and Lethaby Gallery.
English Language Requirements
IELTS level 5.0 or above, with at least 4.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking
The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
One or a combination of the following accepted full level 3 qualifications:
- 1 A Level or equivalent
- Or equivalent Level 3/EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Certificates - 2 at Higher Level’ and 1 at Standard Level’ - all grade 4 or above
And three GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A*-C).
Entry to this course will also be determined by assessment of your portfolio.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
There are two modes of study: Diagnostic or Specialist.
- Diagnostic mode
- Specialist mode
Curriculum Area: 3-Dimensional Design and Architecture
The three pathways are:
- Architecture and Spatial Design
- Jewellery, Footwear and Fashion Accessories
- Product Design and Ceramics
Curriculum Area: Fashion and Textiles
Curriculum Area: Fine Art
Curriculum Area: Communication Design
- Graphic Design
- Photography and Moving Image
- Illustration and Printmaking
- Fashion Communication
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design runs for 32 weeks full-time over one year. The course is full-time; however, the hours of delivery vary from each stage to the next. You may be expected to work on project work over five days, some of that in person and at times you will be expected to work alone (independent study). Typically, taught sessions are in person from 10.30am – 4.30pm. There may be, in addition to this, some online delivery.
- The full tuition fee of 2022/23 for local students is £5,280 per year.
- The full tuition fee of 2022/23 for International students is £18,850 per year.
Most students go on to study at degree level at Central Saint Martins or at other UAL colleges. Some go on to study at colleges nationally or internationally. Others choose postgraduate study or enter the world of work directly.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
Want to know more about Foundation Diploma in Art and Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!