About this program
Fashion Design CSM Summer School Short Course
A four-week course in fashion basics for students who would like to have a career in fashion design. It focuses on stimulating a flow of design ideas and illustration techniques to prepare for a fashion-led foundation course or similar. The course combines design, illustration, presentation skills and advice on preparing a portfolio.
The course is lead by Julian Seaman (see tutor information below), However, throughout the course different specialist tutors will be brought in to teach specific skills and give you an insight into the different teaching styles you will experience at higher levels. This will also be an opportunity to receive feedback on your work from a variety of fashion practitioners.
The format of the course is designed to encourage creative thought and build your confidence in expressing your own ideas.
This course has run since 1998 and students have found it rewarding and challenging, leaving with refreshed ideas, lifelong international friends, and a renewed passion for their career.
No previous experience is needed but some drawing skills are essential.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- During the first week you will be lead through the creative process using techniques including collage, 3D experimentation work on colour and styling.
- In the second week you will begin looking at accessory illustration and 3D paperwork (on small and large scale on the stand). You will also have sessions on fashion illustration - a key skill for any designer - and start to work on early design ideas.
- Week three will see you exploring fashion print, big bold illustrations, drawing with the model and a taste of fashion journalism. You will also have a chance to get out and about in London, going to key fashion hot spots to draw and photograph street styles and start to get inspiration from London, the fashion capital.
- The final week will include more trips to enable you to gain inspiration from the world around you to start to compile your own fashion collection, which you will work up on paper back in the studio and create final illustrations of your fashion collection. Work that will be invaluable in any portfolio should you wish to apply to a fashion college in the future.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Course price: £2040.00
A certificate of completion:
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to complement your cv.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2022 QS World University Rankings®, for the fourth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
Want to know more about Fashion Design CSM Summer School Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!