Digital Textile Design Online Short CourseUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
Digital Textile Design Online Short Course
This course will help you explore the creative possibilities of digital textile design techniques, tools, and processes, from the design brief through to the completed collection, and will introduce you to the basics of colour, drawing, composition and repeats with step-by-step exercises and examples.
Through a series of creative projects, the course will provide you with an invaluable insight into the techniques and practice of digital textile surface design, and covers the latest digital print technologies as well as both hand and traditional techniques. You will use digital technologies to create and develop exciting designs and patterns, and then process them into output files which can be used in different methods of fabric printing and garment manufacturing. Throughout the course you will receive personal feedback on your work from the course tutor.
This course is ideal for textile designers, fashion designers, digital artists or anyone who works or who would like to work in creative roles in the textiles, fashion, or interior furnishings industries. No previous experience is required.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Working with a brief
- Design development
- Working with trends
- Colour space studies
- Creating a colourway
- Using photoshop and illustrator packages
- Drawing with brushes and working with layers and filters
- Developing your drawings and forms with texture, composition and scale
- Mark making with an iPad
- Repeats: block/half-drop/allover/seamless
- Placement/engineered print
- Technical information: types of printing/dyes
- Specialist materials/fabrics
- Sustainability: reduction of waste
- Slow fashion/upcycling
- Digital portfolio
- Digital bureaus: file preparation
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
Course price: £380.00
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Research colour and materials
- Demonstrate an ability to locate and evaluate information from a range of visual sources
- Refine research and design development with an introduction to Photoshop and Illustrator
- Create a successful repeat print design
- Create a colour palette
- Produce a digital folio including visualisations of designs
- Work to a brief and develop a collection of printed textile designs for sustainable digital print output
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about Digital Textile Design Online Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!