Design for Sustainability Online Short CourseUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
Design for Sustainability Online Short Course
Design for Sustainability is a course for designers and people who work with design, and offers a hands-on introduction to integrating sustainability within the design process. It is multi-disciplinary, and so is applicable to all design disciplines (fashion, product, service, business model, architecture, UX, strategy, etc.).
This four-week course will introduce practical ideas, concepts, and processes through which designers can create more sustainable outcomes at all levels. Design for Sustainability takes you through the basic tools of designing for sustainability: Systems mapping, design thinking for sustainability, circular economy and an understanding of impacts. All aimed at defining and integrating sustainability in your work and you taking ownership of sustainability.
You will learn through a combination of discussions, short lectures, inspirational case studies, introduction to tools, and practical application of tools through hands-on assignment briefs.
This is a course for designers and people who work with design, seeking an introduction and experience in working with sustainability in the design process. Design for Sustainability is suitable both for experienced professionals and for recent graduates wanting to make the sustainability agenda their own, as well as for both sustainability novices and sustainability passionistas, who have already taken the first couple of steps.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Introduction to sustainability in design, why, how and what
- Strategies for sustainability
- Design thinking for design for sustainability
- Introduction to design for sustainability tools
- Exploration of systems thinking and systems mapping
- Introduction to circular economy concepts
- Circularity of materials and waste
- Waste as a resource
- Redesign processes for sustainability
- Life cycle analysis and impact measurement
- People centred design
- Learning from nature: Permaculture principles, biomimicry
- Transition design
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
Course price: £380.00
By the end of the course you will:
- Gain an overview of the main drivers of sustainability, internationally and cross-sectoral
- Know the main strategies for sustainability
- Explore the sustainability potential in your work
- Establish fluency in the jargon jungle
- Understand the sustainable impact in your own value chain
- Have insight into designing processes for sustainability
- Understand the tools to advocate sustainable design and create better or more sustainable designs yourself
- Work on a live project of your choosing, designing for sustainability
- Present your design for sustainability to the group and receive tutor feedback
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about Design for Sustainability Online Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!