Bag Design and Production Short CourseUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
Bag Design and Production Short Course
If you have thought of starting your own business, this exciting handbag design and production course will offer you an insight into the wonderful world of handbags. Under the expert guidance of your tutor youll be guided through creating a range of bags, with coordinating purses or wallets, from design concept to production.
Once confident in the basics of designing and researching, youll be given a variety of projects to work on involving designing bags for different lifestyles and occasions. Looking at various different case studies youll start to investigate the importance of critical paths as well as how to analyse and interpret future trends. You will start to consider more advanced shapes, styles and construction as well as the importance in matching these to your target audience. To add to your design range youll also produce mood and design boards as well as creating industry specification drawings to help communicate your collection effectively.
During this course youll be guided on fabric selection, trims and fixtures.. Youll also discuss the importance of branding and how best to brand your collection.
The course will be supported with lectures and discussions and there will be opportunity for peer presentations and group feedback. Each course will include a guest lecturer who is expert at a different aspect of the business. Details will be confirmed prior to each course
This is a handbag design course, and does not involve bag making.
Chat with students
- Trend research and preparing design/mood boards
- Identifying your customer base
- Researching materials and their practicality, including leather alternatives, with Reference to sustainability
- Discussion on Leather/fabric and hardware suppliers
- Sourcing and ethical business practices
- Working drawings from initial concept to prototypes
- Technical spec sheets and material specifications – including how to talk to Samplers
- Looking at New Technologies and their impact and application to bag
- Analysing collections for production and marketability
- How to translate and evolve your collection season to season in line with your brand
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Course price: £1200.00
- You've put the work in so we want to make sure you have something to show for it!
- As long as you attend a minimum of 80% of your classes, we will provide you with a certificate of attendance.
- We always recommend you attend all of the classes so that you get the most out of the experience!
- Certificates are great to compliment your cv.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about Bag Design and Production Short Course? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!