BA (Hons) Performance: Design and PracticeUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
BA (Hons) Performance: Design and Practice
On BA Performance: Design and Practice, you will interrogate what performance means in the 21st century. The course challenges the traditional view that performance design is something to look at and performance is something to watch. We will support you to think about performance critically and how it can engage with the world in a meaningful way. We believe that a dialogue between mainstream traditions and new practices will shape the future of performance. On this course, you will explore the expanding field of performance. In particular, you will study post-dramatic theatre, immersive and interactive events. You will undertake work which takes place outside of traditional theatre spaces. You will study different concepts of performance and its associated objects and materials.
On BA Performance: Design and Practice, we will develop your ability to think as an artist. Our teaching strategy integrates thinking and making. We acknowledge the varied and specialist skills different roles in the creative industry demand. Our teaching falls broadly into two categories:
- Performance design practice – The skills and knowledge required to create the visual components of performance. These include: model making, technical drawing, film shooting and editing, storyboarding and costume.
- Contemporary performance practice – The skills and knowledge required to create performance. These include: performance-making strategies, dramaturgy, experimental film-making, resourcing, scheduling, rehearsing and collaborative working.
Chat with students
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Tuition fees for Home students are £9,250*
- Tuition fees for International students are £23,610*
*This fee is correct for 2022/23 entry and is subject to change for 2023/24 entry. Tuition fees may increase in future years for new and continuing students.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2023 QS World University Rankings®, for the fifth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Performance: Design and Practice? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!