BA (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual EffectsUniversity of the Arts London
About this program
BA (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual Effects
BA (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual Effects is a practice-led, concept-driven course which will enable you to explore the creative process through a range of digital technologies. You will be introduced to a range of 2D and 3D digital tools that are key to developing your conceptual, creative and technical skillset.
From low-poly modelling to character animation, cinematography to compositing, this course will offer you the opportunity to learn industry-standard practices whilst experimenting with new and emerging technologies.
In Year 2, you’ll choose to specialise in either Computer Animation or Visual Effects:
- The Computer Animation specialism will support you to develop the broad skillset needed to create 3D digital art across established industries such as animation, film, television or games.
- The Visual Effects specialism will provide you with a working knowledge of the broad skillset and expertise needed to work within the visual effects industries across areas such as compositing, live action, environment creation and CG integration.
Both specialisms emphasise concept development and creative storytelling coupled with in-depth technical tuition and support. While you’ll choose to focus on one, you’ll also gain an underlying knowledge of the other.
The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
96 UCAS tariff points which can be made up of one or a combination of the following accepted full level 3 qualifications:
- A Levels at Grade C or above (preferred subjects include Art, Design, English, Photography, Maths, Computing, or other art, design or technology subjects)
- Merit in Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3 or 4)
- Merit, Merit, Merit in BTEC Extended Diploma (preferred subjects include Art and design, design and technology, Computer science or related subject)
- Merit in UAL Extended Diploma
- Access to Higher Education Diploma (preferred subjects include Art and Design, Design and Technology, Computing or related subject)
- OR equivalent EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Diploma at 24 points minimum
English language requirements
IELTS level 6.0 or above, with at least 5.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
For more information please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Introduction to Computer Animation and Visual Effects
- Visual Foundations
- Principles of 3D and Visual Effects
- Informed Practice 1
- Visual Narrative
- Professional Practice
- Exploratory Practice
- Informed Practice 2
- Final Major Project
- Informed Practice 3
- Professional Futures
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
BA (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual Effects runs for 93 weeks in full-time mode. It is divided into 3 stages over 3 academic years. Each stage lasts 31 weeks.
- Tuition fees for Home students are £9,250 per year
- Tuition fees for International students are £25,970 per year
This fee is correct for 2023/24 entry and is subject to change for 2024/25 entry.
Tuition fees may increase in future years for new and continuing students.
Throughout your studies, you’ll learn more about a range of roles in 3D and Visual Effects, and gain a deeper understanding of the specific area you'd like to pursue – ultimately choosing either to focus on a specific area of specialism or remain more generalist in your future career.
You'll graduate with a showreel which provides an opportunity to demonstrate the relevant skills and knowledge required for successful employment. You may go on to focus on a specific area of specialism, or decide to be more generalist.
Examples of specific jobs in relevant industries include:
- 3D Generalist Texturing Artist
- Visual Effects artist (either 3D or 2D)
- Concept Artist
- Matte Painter/Artist
- Compositing Artist
- Games artist
- Match Mover
- Modelling Artist
- Lighting Artist
- Art Director
- Architectural Visualisation
- Look Development Artist
- Environment Artist
- Visual Effects Co-ordinator
- Creature Technical Director (TD)
- Effects Technical Director
- Pipeline Technical Director
Additionally, you may choose to progress to further study at postgraduate level.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts London
University of the Arts London (UAL) is ranked 2nd in the world for Art and Design according to the 2022 QS World University Rankings®, for the fourth year in a row. It has an international reputation in art, design, communication,...
Why study at University of the Arts London
With multiple sites across London, UAL offers endless opportunities to draw inspiration from this global creative hub.
- UAL has a track record for launching and furthering careers across the creative industries and beyond.
- Graduates are frequently shortlisted for national and global awards ranging from the Turner Prize to the Oscars.
- UAL is home to more than 2,400 postgraduate students.
- The university offers a wide range of theoretical and practice-based research programmes leading to a PhD or MPhil.
- UAL is ranked among the UK’s top research universities, with 83% of research conducted by UAL students and staff graded as world-leading.
- UAL has a diverse student community, with students drawn from over 130 countries across the globe.
- Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from London’s world-famous art galleries, museums and theatres.
- UAL’s dedicated support service offers useful advice for international students including guidance on funding, visa applications and accommodation.
University of the Arts London
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Computer Animation and Visual Effects? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!