Sports ManagementUniversity College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
Sport is big business. More people than ever understand the link between an active lifestyle and good health and are prepared to spend their income and leisure time on sport-related activities.
Sports Management is an exciting sector with a wide variety of employment opportunities in leisure centre and facility management, sports event, sports development, national governing bodies, sports coaching, sports marketing, PE teaching and health and fitness management.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will study the operational and strategic issues in sport, specifically relating to operating within an international environment.
- You will participate in several residential visits both in the UK and overseas so you can examine real world examples of effective sports management practice.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of sports management that interests you.
- You will have work experience opportunities throughout your course in order to optimise your industry engagement.
- When you enrol you automatically become a student member of the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).
You are encouraged to gain work experience throughout this course because it is a great opportunity to put what you have learned into practice alongside qualified professionals. Over the years we have developed close working relationships within the industry so that we can offer you a wide range of placement opportunities alongside your studies.
Our hired@UCB team will make sure that you are well-matched for your placement and support your progress throughout your work experience.
Students also have use of the state-of-the-art, all-weather pitch at Avery Fields, which we share with leading Birmingham rugby club Bournville RFC. The purpose-built, 15-acre site has undergone a £3m transformation, with the all-weather pitch situated alongside two, new grass pitches and an impressive clubhouse, which includes function room, modern changing facilities and a physiotherapy suite.
New sports facilities for 2019
The fantastic news for anyone joining our sports-focused degree courses is that they will have exclusive use of the state-of-the-art facilities at our new higher education building, Moss House, when it opens in 2019. These will include a cutting edge gym incorporating all the latest equipment and sports technology and a 35-metre indoor running track to assess speed and performance.
Kit / uniform
For practical activities, a uniform is required at a cost of approximately £55. This consists of one polo shirt and one track-pant. However, students may also choose to purchase additional items according to their requirements e.g. hoody, rain jacket, shorts etc.
Sports Performance and Rehabilitation Student Conference
UCB's first sports conference was held last year where industry leaders from across the country, as well as UCB’s own expert sports lecturers, gave an overview of some of the most pressing issues currently affecting sports performance and rehabilitation.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Coaching Principles
- Economics of Sport
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Managing People and Performance
- Sport in Society
- Sports Safety, Health and the Environment
- Management and Planning of Sport
- Managing Sports Facilities
- Research for Sport
- The Business of Sport
- Leading People
Plus one option from:
- Sports Psychology
- Voluntary Initiative
- Sports Nutrition
- Modern Languages (Lower Intermediate)
- Modern Languages (Upper Intermediate)
- Sports Coaching
- Enterprise Start-up Studies
Optional Work Placement
- Work Placement
You will gain valuable work experience on a 48 week work placement. This is an exciting opportunity to put what you have learned into practice, broaden your experience and demonstrate your abilities to potential employers.
Year 3 or year 4 if the work placement was taken
- Development and Innovation in Sport
- International Sports Environment
- Research Project
- Strategy in Sport
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Sports Coaching and the Development of Expertise
- Sports Psychology II
- Sports Marketing
- Work Based Learning for Sport
- Sports Tourism
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BA (Hons) Sports Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the sports management sector. Graduates have also gone on to work in sports tourism and marketing, on community sports programmes and in health promotion.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Sports development
- Sports centre management
- Corporate sports hospitality
- Sports coaching
- Sports event management
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Sports Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.