This degree course is awarded by University College Birmingham.
This practical foundation degree focuses on culinary skills and will appeal to chefs qualified to Level 3 as well as those with relevant industry experience. It is ideal for chefs aspiring to work in high quality establishments (AA rosettes and Michelin Guide) including the pub sector.
Expert chef lecturers will help you develop your professional training and the course has been designed with industry partners to boost employability, promotion prospects and creativity.
The College of Food’s industry links will enable you to gain valuable insights into the culinary sector at this level – and allow you to forge connections and contacts that may influence your career.
The knowledge and skills you develop will be linked to best practice with an emphasis on the use of seasonal produce and sustainability. Transferable skills, allowing you to move from one kitchen style to another, is a key focus and is linked to developments in food science and technology.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will broaden and refine your culinary skills and knowledge – and increase your awareness of contemporary industry practices.
- You will focus on classic techniques and learn how these approaches have been refined and complemented by contemporary practice.
- On completion of the course, you will be a highly skilled and employable professional capable of thriving in top kitchens and producing a high standard of cooking
- You will be taught by experienced lecturers with excellent skills in UCB’s state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
- UCB has fantastic links with industry, which means students have access to guest lectures, demonstrations, master classes, visits and employment opportunities.
- You will boost your career opportunities.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Advanced Culinary Skills
- Specialist Patisserie
- The Gastronomist
- The Science of Food
- Advanced Culinary Techniques
- Innovative Patisserie
- Kitchen Management Techniques
- Profitable Menu Development
You will undertake short work experience placements in the second year of your study. The experience could provide an amazing stepping stone into a career and give you valuable work experience for your CV.
The placement provides an opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge, experience and practices that you will develop during the course and relate them to the work environment. This will be organised by our dedicated hired@UCB team.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience.
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
FdA Professional Cookery
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will be able to move into a wide variety of areas including new product development, the health sector or continuing their education to postgraduate level.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Professional Cookery
- Food innovation
- Culinary development
- Food and diet research
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Professional Cookery? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.