International Tourism Business ManagementUniversity College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
Tourism has become a global phenomenon over the last 70 years, with many economies and tourism businesses around the world relying on their ability to attract visitors. International tourism providers operate within a dynamic, uncertain and competitive environment.
In the international business environment, tourism businesses and destinations need to keep abreast of the drivers of change within the global tourism landscape. This is a key step in devising successful long-term tourism business strategies.
This course equips you with the business management skills and attributes that the industry is seeking – the ability to analyse tourism trends, operate within a turbulent environment and innovative and creative strategies to compete successfully in the marketplace.
You will also get the opportunity to specialise by choosing from our large portfolio of industry-related modules. Whether you’re interested in operations management in the airline industry, international marketing, events management or nature tourism, you’ll find a field or sector of the tourism industry which is in line with your career aspirations.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will examine the broad environment in which tourism operates, focusing on the significant value and scale of global tourism activity and the wide range of organisations within the industry.
- In association with our industry networks, you will work on live projects with an emphasis on problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- You will have the opportunity to specialise further in a chosen area through the portfolio of option modules.
- You will get the chance to work on your own research project, which creates an opportunity to critically analyse a particular area or field of the international tourism industry that interests you.
- There is an optional placement year during this course, which will provide you with valuable work experience and the opportunity to build industry contacts.
- UCB hosts tourism and travel events as part of student enrichment and to promote industry awareness. The University is proud to be an Institute of Travel & Tourism (ITT) Centre of Excellence and staged theITT Future You On The Road conferencein February 2016.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
As part of your assessment, you will participate in visits both within the UK and overseas. The costs for the essential elements of these visits will be included within the tuition fees. The projects you will undertake overseas will give you a unique insight into how major international destinations develop their tourism industries. Previous destinations include Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Barcelona,Seville, Berlin, Amsterdam, The Gambia, Cyprus, Toronto,Boston, Washington and New York.
Please note that the information provided above is indicative only and actual timetables and assessment regimes will be issued to students at induction.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Developing People in Tourism
- Tourism and Media
- Tourism Business Environment
- Travel Geography
- Tourism Professional Practice
- Travel and Tourism Marketing
- Destination Planning and Development
- Leading People in Tourism
- Tourism Investigations
- Tourism Marketing Management
- Tourism Operations Management
Plus one option from:
- Events Planning
- Responsible Nature-based Tourism
- Social Media in Aviation and Tourism
- Dark Tourism
- Airport Planning
- Adventure Tourism
- Sustainable Tourism Management
- Voluntary Initiative
- Modern Languages (Upper Intermediate)
- Creative Communications
- Enterprise Start-up Studies
- Cruise Operations
Optional Work Placement (for BA (Hons) students only)
- Work Placement
- Managing Tourism Activity
- Strategic Tourism Management
- Tourism Crisis Management
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- Anthropology of Tourism
- Destination Management
- International Marketing
- Organisational Learning in Tourism
- Dark and Thanatourism Management
- Adventure Tourism Issues and Futures
- Festivals and Events Tourism
In the final year students will have the option of choosing one of the following research modules:
- Research Project
- Enterprise and Innovation Showcase
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BA (Hons) International Tourism Business Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the international tourism industry. Graduates have also gone on to work in corporate travel, for events companies or in the wider travel industry in travel journalism and media.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Tour operations
- Destination management organisations
- Tourism marketing
- Aviation sector airlines
- Events management
UCB hosts tourism and travel events as part of student enrichment and to promote industry awareness. The University is proud to be an Institute of Travel & Tourism (ITT) Centre of Excellence and staged the ITT Future You On The Road conference in February 2016.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about International Tourism Business Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.