International Hospitality Management (Taught)University College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
The hospitality industry is a vast, global and dynamic industry which is constantly developing and expanding.
This course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry and the environment in which it operates and increase your critical awareness of current issues and new insights into this area of professional practice. Our previous graduates can be found all over the world, working in a variety of senior management positions in many different sectors of the industry.
You will also take part in a five-day study trip to a European city destination in order to carry out research related to one or more of your course assessments. Previous study visits have taken students to Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, Florence, Barcelona, Krakow and Rome. The cost of this residential visit is included in the course fees.
There are many diverse career opportunities available to you, and a postgraduate degree from UCB will improve your chances of success and career progression.
Why should I choose this course?
- UCB is a well-established and internationally-renowned provider of hospitality management courses.
- Our lecturers have a wealth of industry experience to draw from and keep up-to-date on industry developments as well as academic research.
- This degree is accredited by the University of Birmingham and has a strong industry and commercial focus.
- You will learn how to work in a managerial position within the hospitality industry and be aware of the contemporary issues and potential areas of growth within the sector.
- You will be able to evaluate the effectiveness of alternative hospitality and managerial approaches and appreciate the changing nature of the contemporary hospitality environment.
If you want to get your foot in the door of a hospitality organisation, then this optional three to six-month placement will give you valuable experience, enhance your CV and may help your future employment prospects.
If you choose to do this placement, you will be supported by our highly experiencedhired@UCBstaff members who organise presentations and meetings with employers to help you identify the kind of placement you want. Whether your ideal work environment is overseas or somewhere in the UK, there is an extensive choice available.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Hospitality Operations Development
- Leadership in Decision-making
- International Live Project Management
- Managing Across Cultures
- Strategic Financial Analysis
- Global Solutions for Hospitality & Tourism Marketing
- Management of Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events
- Global Dynamic Environment
- Postgraduate Conference Research Project
- Postgraduate Employability Project
- Postgraduate Work Placement
The Postgraduate Work Placement module provides students with the opportunities to further develop practical skills, relate theory to practice and to gain a sound base of experience. In addition, the module seeks to develop 'life skills' to assist students in progressing towards a career in management. The placement period offers the student the opportunity to experience work in the hospitality industry and to gain academic credit for their learning. It is important therefore that students are given the opportunity to work in an organisation which is both appropriate to their needs and has a professional approach towards training and development. Students' needs and any previous experience are taken into consideration, when introducing them to a suitable employer. The staff in the hired@UCB suite will draw on their extensive experience to ensure that the objectives are met as fully as possible.
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £7000.
English and EU students studying a full Masters (MA/MSc) course (i.e. the full 180 credits) may be eligible for a Postgraduate loan from Student Finance, if you meet the relevant criteria.
- Non-EU - £11,000
MSc International Hospitality Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the international hospitality industry as well as giving you access to any career that requires a management qualification. Graduates have also gone on to start their own events, catering or hospitality businesses.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Hospitality and tourism planning
- A managerial position in a hospitality organisation
- Tourist attractions management
- Conference and exhibition management
- Events management
- Travel services management
hired@UCBis our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about International Hospitality Management (Taught)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.