Hospitality with Events ManagementUniversity College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
This course seeks to provide you with the industry know-how to develop your career in hospitality with a specific focus on event hospitality. You will develop key hospitality management skills, coupled with a complementary awareness of events provision and management.
Birmingham hosts a vibrant hospitality and events industry and is home to the NEC, ICC and Barclaycard Arena, which host an array of events, festivals and concerts. With our network of contacts in the local area, across the UK and overseas, our work placement team will assist you in securing a placement that matches your career aspirations.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will get a broad overview of the hospitality industry and look in detail at how different venues manage operations and stage events.
- You will have the opportunity go on a 12-month placement in order to develop your management skills and apply financial, marketing and human resource management theory to the hospitality and events environment first-hand.
- You will get managerial experience by having the opportunity to plan and run your own hospitality event – overseeing all the elements from marketing and publicity to catering, staffing, finance and operations.
- It offers plenty of optional modules to allow you to develop a specialism relevant to your chosen career. Including Global Marketing Solutions, Festivals and Event Tourism and Financial Strategy.
- You will choose an area of the industry that interests you as the focus of your research project, which will increase your independent learning skills and your future employability.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Event Design
- Event Studies
- Events Industry in Context
- Food, Beverage & Accommodation Applications
- Hospitality and Tourism Business Principles
- People and Organisations
- The Hospitality and Tourism Customer Experience
Year 2 is the work placement year for Foundation Degree students. BA (Hons) Degree students start their year in industry in the second semester of year 2 and finish it at the end of the first semester of year 3.
- Work Placement
- Dynamics of Business Events
- Human Resources for Hospitality Managers
- Management of Food and Beverage Operations
- Marketing Communications for Hospitality
- Operational Finance for Hospitality and Tourism
- Research Principles
Plus one option from:
- Managing Pub Operations
- Modern Languages (Upper Intermediate)
- Stadium and Arena Management
- Creative Design for Service Organisations
- Gambling in the 21st Century
- Training and Development Skills for Managers
- Hospitality Operations Management
- Strategic Hospitality Management
- Winning Events Contracts
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- Hospitality Crisis Strategy
- Festivals and Events Tourism
- Cross-cultural and Global Management in Hospitality
- Hospitality Retail
- Personal Effectiveness and Behavioural Skills
- Global Marketing Solutions
In the final year students will have the option of choosing one of the following research modules:
- Research Project
- Enterprise and Innovation Showcase
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BA (Hons) Hospitality with Events Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the industry, including working in the catering, conference and restaurant sectors. Graduates have also gone on to start their own events, catering or hospitality business.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Hotel management
- Business centre management
- Conference and exhibition venues
- Specialist event organisation
- Accommodation management
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Hospitality with Events Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!