Hospitality Business ManagementUniversity College Birmingham
Hospitality Business Management
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
This course will provide you with a wide range of opportunities to work at management level in world-class hotels, country clubs, theme parks, leisure centres, exhibition venues and catering services. If you’re good with people, business-minded and hard-working, a career in hospitality business management is for you.
This strongly vocational course will give you the knowledge and skills necessary for a range of management careers within the international hospitality industry. Throughout the course we will encourage you to add to your skills by specialising in subjects such as Management of Food and Beverage Operations, Rooms Revenue Management or Events Planning. Specialist technical modules will enable you to take advantage of UCB’s unparalleled hospitality restaurant facilities and supported work placement network.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will be exposed to the wide scope of the hospitality sector and learn how to apply key business skills such as managing people, marketing and finance within an industry context.
- You will have the opportunity to go on a 12-month placement in order to develop your management skills and apply financial, marketing and human resource management theory to the hospitality environment.
- You will be encouraged to develop an industry specialism such as Gastronomy, Convention Management or Managing Pub Operations.
- The course has an international focus, which means you will be able to apply what you learn to overseas organisations.
- You will choose an area of the industry that interests you as the focus of your research project, which will increase your independent learning skills and your future employability.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Duration for this course is 4 years full-time (Including 1 year industry placement)
- Food, Beverage and Hospitality Studies
- Hospitality and Tourism Business Principles
- People and Organisations
- Rooms Division Systems
- Employability Enhancement
- The Hospitality and Tourism Customer Experience
Year 2 is the work placement year for Foundation Degree students. BA (Hons) Degree students start their year in industry in the second semester of year 2 and finish it at the end of the first semester of year 3.
- Work Placement
- Human Resources for Hospitality Managers
- Management of Food and Beverage Operations
- Marketing Communications for Hospitality
- Operational Finance for Hospitality and Tourism
- Research Principles
- Rooms Revenue Management
Plus one option from:
- Convention Management
- Events Planning
- Managing Pub Operations
- Modern Languages (Upper Intermediate)
- Creative Design for Service Organisations
- Gambling in the 21st Century
- Training and Development Skills for Managers
- Hospitality Operations Management
- Strategic Hospitality Management
Plus two options from:
- Financial Strategy
- Small Restaurant Management
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- International Marketing
- Cross-cultural and Global Management in Hospitality
- Innovation and Creativity Management in Hospitality and Tourism
- Digital and Social Media Marketing
- Hospitality Retail
- Personal Effectiveness and Behavioural Skills
In the final year students will have the option of choosing one of the following research modules:
- Research Project
- Enterprise and Innovation Showcase
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £2500 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BA (Hons) Hospitality Business Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the hospitality industry, specialising in areas such as human resources, marketing, public relations, financial management and operations management.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Hotel management
- Conference and exhibition management
- Food services management
- Resort and property management
- Travel services
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education sectors with...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Average rating 5Based on 3 reviews
Want to know more about Hospitality Business Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.