Health and Social Care
This degree course is accredited by University College Birmingham.
This course is subject to validation and approval.
Your future career in health and social care is more than just a job. It is an extremely rewarding opportunity to meet the care needs of others in our society and support them at their greatest time of need. This course explores the complex nature of the sector, providing students with an excellent basis to explore the theoretical and practical aspects of health and social care and apply these to maximise career opportunities. Through this course, you will become skilled and knowledgeable in working with the most vulnerable in our society, including those individuals with the most complex care and support needs.
Delivered by expert staff with vocational experience, the course takes a holistic view of health and social care and covers the broad skills and knowledge fundamental to the health and care needs of the whole of society. As planning, delivering and managing health and social care is a dynamic process and is ever-evolving, the course adapts to relevant changes, whether they are a result of socio-political, economic, commissioning or cultural shifts.
There will be opportunities to increase your employability through work placements, which are a crucial part of every year of the course.
Why should I choose this course?
- Your first year will provide you with a good foundation, so that you can choose how to tailor your studies in your second and third year through your optional modules.
- You will be supported by lecturers with substantial experience across the sector to gain a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of working in the health and social care field.
- You will gain extensive experience in a range of diverse placement areas, which help you link theory to practice and gain the essential experience you need to boost your employability.
- Your modules will be focused on a range of vocational areas that can be directly applied to working within the industry.
- For your final project, you can specialise in a topic that inspires you and is relevant to your personal interests or area you would like to find employment.
If you are interested in public health and delivering projects and interventions to help the wider community, you may also be interested in our Public Health and Health Promotion BSc (Hons).
The University’s Health Hub, a purpose-built facility at our Richmond House site, is available to degree-level students as an additional resource should they want to explore many of the settings they are likely to encounter in practice.
In addition to high specification resources, the hub includes:
- A three-bedded ward area – allowing students to interact with simulation manikins in a virtual ward setting designed for adults and children
- A clinical treatment area – a realistic environment to learn clinical skills such as patient assessment, administration of medication and wound care
- A typical home area – allowing students to consider the challenges of delivering health and social care in the community
- A 24-seat teaching area – for group work and debriefing, linked to activities in the virtual learning environment
The area features camera recording equipment to allow students to view clinical skills demonstrations and practice in the teaching area.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Foundations of Health and Social Care
- Skills for Working with People
- Psychological Perspectives on Holistic Health
- Sociological Influences on Holistic Health
- Vulnerability, Values and Ethics
- Person-Centred Interventions
- The Health and Social Care Professional
- Public Health and Social Policy
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing
- Contemporary Research for Enquiry
Plus two options from:
- Criminology and Offender Management
- Substance Misuse
- Managing Acute and Chronic Conditions
- Supporting Families and Households
- Leadership and Management in Health and Social Care
- Counselling and Guidance Skills
- Project Management in Practice
Plus one option from:
- Research Project
- Mental Wellbeing
- Learning Disability
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £2500 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care
Following successful completion of this course, graduates will have the knowledge and skills to work in a wide range of areas in the health and social care sector, within public, private and voluntary services.
- Recovery and rehabilitation work
- Health promotion and education
- Criminal justice
- Mental health support and advice
- Family support, advice and guidance
- Physical and learning disability support
- Housing support
- Community liaison and development
- Public health
- Domestic violence and victim support
- Volunteer coordination
Successful graduates may choose to continue with further postgraduate studies in areas such as social work, education and other practitioner-based qualifications, such as youth work.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education sectors with...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Average rating 5Based on 6 reviews
Want to know more about Health and Social Care? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.