Global Meetings and Events Management (Taught)University College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
This exciting course will provide you with the opportunity to develop higher level knowledge, skills and talent for a career within the dynamic global meetings and event industry.
This postgraduate qualification will enhance your appreciation of the complex, strategic and operational management tools used in the events industry. Your knowledge will be supported by current global events theory, giving you the ability to solve executive problems.
By adopting a social science approach, you will explore and critique the operational and business issues within the sector and look for solutions at corporate business level. The social interaction of people within the wider environment will form the basis to how you approach a variety of concepts.
Why should I choose this course?
- This degree is accredited by the University of Birmingham and has a strong industry and vocational focus.
- You will learn how to expand and develop your meetings and events business in the flushing global event marketplace.
- You will have the opportunity to take an optional placement within the industry, boosting your future career prospects.
- You will learn from both experienced academics and industry leaders to develop your global business skills and worldview.
- You can take part in and conduct your field research on an overseas residential.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
If you want to get your foot in the door of an events organisation, then this optional six-month placement will give you valuable experience, enhance your CV and may help your future employment prospects.
If you choose to do this placement, you will be supported by our highly experienced hired@UCB staff members who organise presentations and meetings with employers to help you identify the kind of placement you want. Whether your ideal work environment is overseas or somewhere in the UK, there is an extensive choice available.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within academic study, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Event Tourism
- International Events Management
- Strategy for Global Meetings and Events
- Sustainability and Ethics in Events
- Postgraduate Conference Research Project
- Postgraduate Employability Project
- Postgraduate Work Placement
The Postgraduate Work Placement module provides students with the opportunities to further develop practical skills, relate theory to practice and to gain a sound base of experience. In addition, the module seeks to develop 'life skills' to assist students in progressing towards a career in management. The placement period offers the student the opportunity to experience work in the hospitality industry and to gain academic credit for their learning. It is important therefore that students are given the opportunity to work in an organisation which is both appropriate to their needs and has a professional approach towards training and development. Students' needs and any previous experience are taken into consideration, when introducing them to a suitable employer. The staff in the hired@UCB suite will draw on their extensive experience to ensure that the objectives are met as fully as possible.
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £7000.
English and EU students studying a full Masters (MA/MSc) course (i.e. the full 180 credits) may be eligible for a Postgraduate loan from Student Finance, if you meet the relevant criteria.
- Non-EU - £11,000
MSc Global Meetings and Events Management
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates have secured jobs in the public, private and voluntary sectors as event organisers, salespeople, market researchers and in PR and promotional positions.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Conference and exhibition venue management
- Hotel and business centre management
- Destination management organisations (DMOs)
- Events management companies
- Marketing positions within major companies
hired@UCBis our new student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Global Meetings and Events Management (Taught)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.