Food Development and InnovationUniversity College Birmingham
Awarded by: University of Birmingham
Food Development and Innovation has evolved from the successful and long-running Food and Consumer Management degree.
While the core values of the previous course have been retained, it has been enhanced to reflect the development of our Food Science and Innovation Suite and feedback from the industry. The course combines up-to-date technical knowledge with the practical skills required by the food industry.
Innovation and creativity in food development is crucial if the industry is to meet the challenges posed by a diverse market and changing consumer trends. Technology is constantly evolving to meet the demands of a nutritious, safe and sustainable food supply.
This course is designed for individuals who are seeking a management career in the food, beverage and retail industries. The food industry is diverse, consisting of small and niche businesses, blue chip manufacturers and major retailers. Additionally, this course is designed for those interested in food media and food technology education.
While analysing the industry in its broadest sense, module options allow specialisation in areas such as food product and process development, public relations and marketing. Food technology specialists undertake all aspects of product development – from concept, idea generation, formulation, optimisation, pilot trials and product evaluations through to commercialisation and launch.
You will assess new food ingredients, identify appropriate market applications and learn how to enhance the sensory attributes of products and recipes, ensuring food delivers the consistent quality expected from manufacturers, retailers and consumers.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will learn about food commodities, nutrition and food safety through practical application and development work.
- You will examine current trends within the industry such as health, food availability, food security and the rise in food costs.
- Your employability will be enhanced by the opportunity to work for a year in industry and additional work placement options.
- You will get the chance to work in our new Science and Food Science and Innovation Suite, which features the latest food testing and diagnostic technology alongside state-of-the-art development kitchen facilities.
- Well-developed links with industry are reflected in the design and delivery of this course. Industry-led projects and assignments have a strong industrial focus ensuring students experience real live projects.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Culinary Skills for Innovation
- Diet and Nutrition
- Food Industry Insights
- Food Science for Product Development
- Managing for Profit
- Sensory Evaluation of Food
- Commercialisation and Supply Chain
- Consumer Behaviour for Food
- Contemporary Food Communication
- Food Product Design Development
- Research for Food
- Food Production Management
- Creative Food for the Media
- Food Product Reformulation
- Enterprise Start-up Studies
Optional Work Placement (Year 3)
- Work Placement
Year 3 or year 4 with a placement
- Food Quality Management
- Food Retail Innovation
- Strategies for Food Production and Food Retail Industries
Plus one option from:
- Brand Management
- International Marketing
- Principles for Teaching and Learning with Food
- Research Project
- Practical Project
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BSc (Hons) Food Development and Innovation
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas including developing new products, reformulating old ones, marketing, education or the media.
On successful completion of this course students can pursue career paths in:
- Quality assurance
- Food selection and buying
- Health promotion
- Research and development
- Food consultancy
Graduates have also chosen to continue their studies and undertake postgraduate level studies in subjects including education, environmental health, food sustainability and business.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Food Development and Innovation? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!