Finance and AccountingUniversity College Birmingham
This course is offered as both a BSc (Hons) and FdSc. Students studying the FdSc will have the option of progressing onto the final year of the BSc (Hons) at the end of year 2.
Finance and accounting professionals are vital to all functions of a business. This course will enable you to apply your numerical abilities efficiently and open up a wide range of career opportunities. Working in collaboration with professional bodies such as the ACCA, CIMA and ICAEW, the course is designed to ensure you are highly skilled upon completion and that you can apply for exemptions from a range of professional exams in order to become a part or fully certified accountant. As well as a detailed understanding of financial systems, you will gain insight into other business areas including law, marketing, strategy and leadership.
In today's dynamic digital marketplace, theoretical learning alone will not offer an advantage when competing in the job market. Early immersion into the markets through leading finance platforms will and this course will develop your practical and professional skills by exposing you to both live and simulated trading in our planned purpose built financial trading room (due for completion in 2019/20). We work closely with our delivery partners including NatWest, Santander, PwC and Grant Thornton and you will be exposed to the latest technology and become familiar with the digital tools used in the industry.
You have the opportunity to complete the Bloomberg Certificate (Bloomberg Market Concept) as part of your course at no additional cost.
You will have the opportunity to go on a 12-month placement in order to validate your learning and to ensure you will gain a distinctive advantage in the finance and accounting graduate job market by developing your work-ready skills.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will gain first-hand knowledge of market concepts and behaviours through simulated investing and analysis of market opportunities
- Opportunity to work on live consultancy cases with local and international clients
- The course was developed, and will be delivered in partnership, with key industry players and professional bodies
- The course will provide you with various opportunities to enhance your employability skills to facilitate your career progression
- For your final project, you can research a topic that interests you and can be relevant to your interests or intended future employment
- You will have the opportunity to go on a 12-month placement in order to develop your skills in finance and accounting. You will not incur tuition fees during the 12-month placement.
You will gain valuable work experience on an optional 12-month work placement. This is an exciting opportunity to put what you have learned into practice, broaden your experience and demonstrate your abilities to potential employer. You will not incur tuition fees during the 12-month placement.
If you are looking for further work experience opportunities, our highly-experienced hired@UCB staff members have a diverse mix of advisers with experience in a wide variety of areas.
At UCB, we understand the importance of work placements within your studies, and our employer contacts say they give preference to students with qualifications who also have experience within the field.
There are additional opportunities available too, including a recommendation for industry-supported mentoring schemes to guide you through your future career.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Internal and External Communications
- Management Accounting
- Business Mathematics
- Financial Accounting
- Foundations of Business Analytics
- Accounting and Information Systems
- Organisation Management
- Advanced Business Analytics
- Business Taxation (International Perspective)
- Financial Management
- Corporate Finance
- Audit and Company Law
Year 3 - Work Placement if chosen
You will gain valuable work experience on a 12-month work placement. This is an exciting opportunity to put what you have learned into practice, broaden your experience and demonstrate your abilities to potential employers.
- International Financial Reporting
- Advanced Corporate Taxation
- Advanced Audit and Risk
- Finance and Accounting Case (Capstone Project)
Plus, one option from:
- Enterprise Reputation Management
- Leadership and Enterprise Strategy
- International Marketing
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BSc (Hons) Finance and Accounting
This course provides an excellent platform for those seeking a career working in finance and accounting.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to work in any organisation, covering roles such as:
- Financial auditor
- Financial analyst
- Payroll outsourcer
- Chartered accountant
- Chartered certified accountant
- Chartered management accountant
- Chartered public finance accountant
- Company secretary
- Forensic accountant
Your degree would also be useful for the following roles:
- Business development manager
- Data analyst
- Licensed conveyancer
- Management consultant
- Mortgage adviser
- Purchasing manager
- Retail banker
- Tax adviser
- Financial consultant
Graduates who wish to continue their studies can apply to progress to postgraduate courses at UCB such as ourMSc in Enterprise Management,MSc in Finance and Accountingor complete the remaining papers with the professional bodies (ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW) to achieve the status of part-qualified accountant or certified accountant.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Finance and Accounting? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.